Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Nostalgia & History > 'Vic Shattock' on Hobby Lobby show: Oct 19, 1938

Date: 11/20/11 20:36
'Vic Shattock' on Hobby Lobby show: Oct 19, 1938
Author: KeyRouteKen

"Hobby Lobby" was a weekly radio show that was carried on one of the National networks of the day. The show invited various listeners to apply to be on the show and tell the folks at home all about what they pursued in their spare time. Or as show creator "Dave Elman" explained: To "Lobby for their Hobby"...

Didn't matter if it was stamp collecting, butterfly collecting, woodworking or any number of possibilities, if the Show's producers thought your hobby was worthy, you got to be on the Show. It was primarily sponsored by "Fels & Co."-- longtime makers of Fels-Naptha Laundry Soap and Fels-Naptha Soap Chips.

After applying to be on the Show and originally declined by the producers, "Vic Shattock, an Employee of the Southern Pacific Railroad" was invited to be on the weekly spot, on a National radio hookup. He was to bring a locomotive and accessories required, to New York City to "Lobby for his unusual Hobby".
The broadcast date selected was Wednesday, October 19, 1938. The Southern Pacific seized upon this moment and personally got involved.
My grandparents were provided transportation to New York City courtesy of SP. They were put up in the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. A "Mikado-type steam locomotive was chosen from the basement collection. His small Mike # 3217, an MK-4 Class.
It was packed in a special box with required track and accessories and placed in the confines of an SP baggage car for the long trip ahead.

At the studios in Radio City, the locomotive was steamed-up and put thru its paces while Vic Shattock told a National audience how he built these locomotives. His employer got tons of free publicity. Here was one of their own, talking railroads (SP in particular) on national radio.
The sounds of the engine's exhaust, whistle and cylinder cocks among other things were broadcast live, over the Network that Wednesday night so many, many years ago. The little engine gained the reputation of being heard all over the Country.

After the big broadcast, Vic and my grandmother took the train home to Oakland, CA.
The SP requested that the locomotive stay in New York for a few weeks to be on display in the window of their NYC ticket office. Vic agreed to this. When the engine "took the train home" to Oakland, it was dropped by somebody. But it was packed so well that no harm ever came to it.
In my archives, I have a copy of the original radio script, so I know how the broadcast went. I also have the letter he received from FELS & CO, thanking him for being on the Show. In appreciation for being on the Show, the folks at FELS, mailed him TWO BOXES of their "Soap Chips" product. Well, at least he could keep his clothes clean. (grin)

Photo 1. The late Dave Elman, creator of Hobby Lobby and the Host for the broadcast.

Photo 2. The late Vic Shattock, with SP "Mikado" # 3217 in the studio for the Show.

Thanks for letting me share more old memories.

Ken Shattock (KRK)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/11 20:53 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 11/20/11 20:53
Re: 'Vic Shattock' on Hobby Lobby show: Oct 19, 1938
Author: Thomas

Too bad they didn't have TV back then. ;-)

Date: 11/20/11 21:45
Author: SPLoopConductor

Very interesting story and history. Thanks, Ken.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 11/21/11 06:42
Author: redarrow

What a great story about an interesting vignette of history.

Date: 11/23/11 19:19
Author: upkpfan

Thank you Ken. Always enjoy your stories. Very good. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds