Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > Former Rock Island depot at Manhattan, KS

Date: 12/22/11 19:17
Former Rock Island depot at Manhattan, KS
Author: JoCoLB

This picture shows the former Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad depot at Manhattan, KS, as it appeared on April 27, 1958. The Manhattan depot was on the Rock Island's branch line that was operated between McFarland, KS, and Belleville, KS, by way of Clay Center, KS.

Date: 12/22/11 20:39
Re: Former Rock Island depot at Manhattan, KS
Author: mmisin2

Timeless photo, any idea when it was removed?

Date: 12/23/11 05:03
Author: santafe199

mmisin2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Timeless photo, any idea when it was removed?

I grew up in Manhattan and can vaguely remember seeing this depot as a kid in the early or maybe mid 60s. It was long gone by the time I discovered that cameras and
railroading can indeed go together...

Lance

Date: 12/23/11 08:32
Author: U-3-b

No wonder I could not find it when I went to K-State. It was gone long before I got there. Thanks for posting it as I always wondered what it looked like.

Steve

Date: 12/23/11 09:27
Author: glcaddis

Isn't this the line that was flooded out by Tuttle Creek Dam? It was built in the mid-1950s. If so, I can't imagine the depot lasting much longer than that. I started at K-State in 1963 and I have no memory of this depot at all. Used the UP depot a few times back and forth to KC. Gene

Date: 12/23/11 09:48
Author: imrl

glcaddis Wrote:
> Isn't this the line that was flooded out by Tuttle
> Creek Dam? It was built in the mid-1950s. If so,
> I can't imagine the depot lasting much longer than
> that. I started at K-State in 1963 and I have no
> memory of this depot at all. Used the UP depot a
> few times back and forth to KC. Gene

No. The line that went through what is now Tuttle Creek Lake was a Union Pacific branch that connected Manhattan with Marysville, KS. There is still a section of this line still in service south from Marysville to the Georgia Pacific plant just north of Blue Rapids. It's called the Bestwall Spur and sees a local based out of Fairbury, NE about 1-3 times a week. There was also a section in Manhattan that served a steel supply distributor but it was pulled up at least 5 years ago when the area around Manhattan Town Center was developed further.

The Rock Island line was still in service right up until they went bankrupt. It was briefly operated by Brandon after the Rock shut down but was pulled up not long after that.

Date: 12/23/11 11:45
Author: millerdc

Did the Rock ever run a KC - Denver train along this route?

Date: 12/23/11 12:47
Author: U-3-b

> Did the Rock ever run a KC - Denver train along
> this route?

According to my June 1941 Official Guide the Rocky Mountain Rocket # 23-107-7 west and #8-108-24 east both stopped in Manhattan.

Steve

Date: 12/23/11 18:21
Author: santafe199

millerdc Wrote:
> Did the Rock ever run a KC - Denver train along
> this route?

In the late 50's Rock Island still had a Topeka-Belleville passenger train called the "Sputnik". I believe it was an 'up & back', same day run. I do have a future WAG Wed in the works
with a few of Bill Gibson's shots to post. I'd like to do a little more research on for a story line before I post it though...

Lance

Date: 12/27/11 18:38
Author: upkpfan

If you are refering to the Tuttle Creek Dam being built in the mid 50s, that is wrong. It was built between 1960 -65. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds