Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Nostalgia & History > few Santa Fe Pasadena, CA . .

Date: 02/04/12 06:26
few Santa Fe Pasadena, CA . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . few more dug out of storage on Santa Fe's original line into Los Angeles;
top: westbound train #3 makes it's last station stop before it's final destination of Los Angeles at Pasadena back when the SDP's were new and the line was the 2nd District 6-73.
middle: in April '76 an eastbound is just starting the hard pull out of Los Angeles at the estreme west end of the 2nd District NEAR **altered** Water Street. At this time eastbounds were normal on the Pasadena line due to a crew agreement allowing crews to come into LA from the crew base at San Bernardion via the 3rd District drop off it's train at Hobart yard then pick up another train and head on back to San Bernardino via the 2nd District cutting crew costs as the crew was on "continuous time" costing Santa Fe only the actual miles of 128. If they took a train back via the 3rd District reversing direction they had to tie up or go to a hotel for rest then be recalled for another trip meaning 100 miles each direction. The extra wide right of way used to be jointly occupied by UP's Pasadena Branch which had now been gone for awhile. The Palm trees visible on the hill in upper right are along the parking lot at Dodgers stadium.
bottom: This shot was taken in Feb '91 from the 210 Fwy on the now Pasadena Sub of a detouring eastbound 875 (LA to TX) train in San Dimas, CA. At this time it was very rare to catch an eastbound manifest train, other than the Pasadena Local on the line. In '85 the pool crew base was moved from San Bernardino to LA and the line was used quite a bit for light westbound intermodal traffic and Amtrak. Don't recall why this train detoured but something happened on the normally used San Bernardino Sub.
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/12 15:58 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 02/04/12 08:44
Re: few Santa Fe Pasadena, CA . .
Author: PasadenaSub

Great stuff, JB.

Not to get picky, but Picture #3 is still in Glendora (though close to the San Dimas line). I think I may have a picture of the same train in downtown Glendora that morning, as I recall seeing a rare eastbound stacker led by a GP35 around that time.

Rich

Date: 02/04/12 09:53
Author: PHall

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff, JB.
>
> Not to get picky, but Picture #3 is still in
> Glendora (though close to the San Dimas line). I
> think I may have a picture of the same train in
> downtown Glendora that morning, as I recall seeing
> a rare eastbound stacker led by a GP35 around that
> time.
>
> Rich

A GP35, GP9, and three GP30's. Yep, a Coast Lines consist!

Date: 02/04/12 16:01
Author: PossumBellyCaboose

That first shot brings back fond memories. Many the morning, I'd wait just south of Del Mar Blvd. for # 3, relishing an opportunity to chit-chat with the head end crew. Great guys like Willie Sullivan, Larry Mayle, L. C. Smith and Tommy Johnson. I know Larry Mayle has passed away. Any information on the others?

Date: 02/05/12 12:55
Author: 2472Don

In the first photo below Chavez Ravine, isn't that train passing nearby/along Spring Strreet rather than Water Street, Joe?

Date: 02/05/12 15:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Don't know the name of any streets below, Santa Fe used to have a station called Water Street nearby.
JB

Date: 02/07/12 11:51
Author: 2472Don

I always find it interesting when station names have nothing to do with an actual place or; in this case, an actual street near the area LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds