Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Amtrak #16 at Temple

Date: 02/22/12 05:26
WAG Wednesday: Amtrak #16 at Temple
Author: santafe199

Bill Gibson's career with the Santa Fe took him out of state on many occasions and while scanning through his slide collection for Art I never quite know if his out of Kansas shots are on working or vacation trips. Either way Bill was very loyal to the varnish. He made sure to be trackside to shoot whatever passenger fare was on the local menu. Freight subjects seemingly took the back seat. So it is in July of 1971 that Bill was in Temple, Texas for whatever reason and duly recorded the day's northbound (timetable east) passenger train. For those of you who are familiar with Temple, especially this location, this scene is not just as Bill shot it. In one of my early (read: crude) attempts at photo-editing I was a wee bit successful at removing a very unsightly pole. Once you spot where it was the scar stands out. I'm mildly surprised that Bill would shoot with an ugly pole dominating his shot. It's out of his photographic character to do so. Maybe it was a case of grabbing a shot because of lack of time to find a better location. We've all had that happen. I'd like to think Bill would be happy with my meager attempts at editing his work, though...

1. AMTK atsf 311C on train #16 at Temple, TX on July 9, 1971.
(photo by William A. Gibson Sr.)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/22 00:36 by santafe199.

Date: 02/22/12 07:18
Re: WAG Wednesday: Amtrak #16 at Temple
Author: kurtarmbruster

I would never have noticed! Yikes, butting up right up against the diesel nose, too. Such obstacles are all too common; I well know how the guy must've been cursing under his breath! Thanks for sharing. Kurt.

Date: 02/22/12 09:07
Author: GenePoon

Good enough for me! You have changed a throwaway into a keeper!

Date: 02/22/12 10:57
Author: gcm

atsffan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He must've had access to the upper floors of the
> station. It's been a few years since I've been
> there, is there a balcony on the upper floors or
> did he shoot this out the window?
>
> Richard

It was from a bridge.
I've taken a few shots at this location also.

Gary

Date: 02/22/12 16:52
Author: The_Chief_Way

note the train still had a Big Dome in the consist

Date: 02/22/12 17:22
Author: SP7615

Excellent stuff that is how I remember the Texas Chief.

SP7615

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds