Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Nostalgia & History > Needs some help

Date: 03/06/12 08:16
Needs some help
Author: MrOGDEN

Back in the 40's up to the 70's railroads applied a plate above the frame of the locomotive with the description of the locomotive, silver on black, I know they are not called "Builders" but something else. Thanks
MrOGDEN

Date: 03/06/12 08:23
Re: Needs some help
Author: miralomarail

Do you mean the " Trust Plates" ? A plate that said the Locomotive was owned by such and such under a security agreement

Date: 03/06/12 08:35

Not a trust plate, but ones that read U25C, the GP/SD above 30/45. Hope this helps. I think that they were gone buy the late 1970's.

MrOGDEN

Date: 03/06/12 09:48
Author: Arved

I know what you're talking about. I don't know what the official terminology was for them, but I've heard them referred to as "nameplates." As in "Milwaukee Road added GP20 nameplates to their 2000 horsepower GP9 rebuilds."

Date: 03/06/12 11:30
Author: retcsxcfm

There are called builders plates and give information such as serial number etc.They are still used on new locomotives
but now they are usually just decals.

Uncle Joe-Seffner,Fl.

Date: 03/06/12 12:24
Author: mwbridgwater

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------
> There are called builders plates and give
> information such as serial number etc.

That's not what he's talking about. He means the kind that only have the locomotive model number in large characters.

Mark

Date: 03/06/12 12:40
Author: Evan_Werkema

Date: 03/06/12 12:57
Author: rattenne

I think the confusion wraps around the fact that not every railroad used the model plates. SP, for instance, never used them and I did not see a unit with such a plate until I moved to Denver and saw them on BN units and former CB&Q units. I also think they were applied mainly to EMD products. I thought the plates only removed any doubt as to the model of the diesel filling my view finder, but looked pretty classy too!!

I even bought one at Winterail one year.

Date: 03/06/12 13:10
Author: Evan_Werkema

I've seen them mostly on EMD's, too, but CB&Q put them on early GE's, too:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/600000/BN_5633_GALESBURG_060773_C_NELSON.jpg
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,208410,208410#208410
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=129090

Date: 03/06/12 14:07

Evan, your correct. I tried googling a site and couldnt find one. Can anyone post a decent picture of one, much appreciated. MrOGDEN

Date: 03/06/12 16:09
Author: FT

Mr Ogden,

I quickly scanned some Q class or model plates. Sorry the FT is so poor, a going away in the rain set of power on that one.

Keith A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds