Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tennessee Central RS3 #258

Date: 03/22/12 09:17
Tennessee Central RS3 #258
Author: valmont

Mystery file: TC RS3 #258, Alan Miller collection, no date, original by? location?

Date: 03/22/12 11:10
Re: Tennessee Central RS3 #258
Author: Rathole

Probably at Nashville. I know a guy from Memphis named Bill White who used to go to Nashville to shoot the TC and Bill used to trade slides with Alan. However, Bill always meticulously labeled his slides.

Date: 03/22/12 12:02
Author: rnb3

I believe it's Monterey, Tennessee. The TC had a little service facility there. I have another picture in my reference collection that was taken the same day as the one in your collection, maybe minutes apart, from slightly forward of the locomotive. It has the same tank car in the back ground. The light pole also shows up in a couple other pictures of the 258 including one dated June of 1968. The TC was gone by the fall of 68 and I'm thinking they started to paint their RS3 in the 'new image' blue starting around 66 or 67.

Thanks for the shot. Pictures of the Tennessee Central are few and far between. Shots of rolling stock are truly rare, and I'm always looking for freight car pictures. I'll put your copy in my referance file too!

Thanks!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 03/22/12 12:07

Rathole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably at Nashville. I know a guy from Memphis
> named Bill White who used to go to Nashville to
> shoot the TC and Bill used to trade slides with
> Alan. However, Bill always meticulously labeled
> his slides.

Before I posted the picture I asked Alan Miller about it's history and this is what his email said:

"Either a Dick Wallin or Bill White original at the TC home base, wherever that was"

Since I didn't want to speculate so I didn't include Alan's info ... I also thought some help would arrive, and your post did just that, seems like we may have a leading candidate!! Thanks ....

p.s. Alan no longer has the original, mine is a dupe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/12 12:16 by valmont.

Date: 03/22/12 12:18

rnb3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe it's Monterey, Tennessee. The TC had a
> little service facility there. I have another
> picture in my reference collection that was taken
> the same day as the one in your collection, maybe
> minutes apart, from slightly forward of the
> locomotive. It has the same tank car in the back
> ground. The light pole also shows up in a couple
> other pictures of the 258 including one dated June
> of 1968. The TC was gone by the fall of 68 and
> I'm thinking they started to paint their RS3 in
> the 'new image' blue starting around 66 or 67.
>
> Thanks for the shot. Pictures of the Tennessee
> Central are few and far between. Shots of rolling
> stock are truly rare, and I'm always looking for
> freight car pictures. I'll put your copy in my
> referance file too!
>
> Thanks!

who's the photographer on the shot you have? Is there a date on it?

Date: 03/22/12 20:45
Author: rnb3

valmont Wrote:

> who's the photographer on the shot you have? Is
> there a date on it?

Unfortunately most of my collection are Ebay screen captures for my own modeling purposes. I can't repost anything I have. Only one of the shots of 258 has any data with it. It was taken in June of 68 by Don Ross at Monterey, TN. It appears to be the same location as yours, but not the same time. The light pole behind the unit in your shot is pretty distinctive, and appears in a Mr Ross' picture, as well as the other copy I have taken the same day as your picture. There aren't a whole lot of TC photos out there so you see the same handful for sale on Ebay over and over. And not always by the same person! Very few have any data. Every once in while, some more info slips out.

I did find a very grainy copy of the second shot from the same day as your copy on the Fallin Flags site.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/tc/tc258dcdm.jpg

I will post a link to the TO message over on the TC yahoo site, I bet somebody over there has a copy with complete data.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 03/23/12 18:20
Author: Rathole

In talking to a friend who is a TC buff, it appears that shot is indeed at Monterey, TN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/12 18:20 by Rathole.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds