Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Nostalgia & History > Old MoPac caboose with an updated interior

Date: 05/26/12 17:57
Old MoPac caboose with an updated interior
Author: JoCoLB

In Osawatomie, KS, former Missouri Pacific caboose No. 942 rests behind the Osawatomie Historical Society Museum and a replica of the town's former MoPac depot.

The caboose was on display in the town park for more than 30 years where it was heavily vandalized. A few years ago, it was moved downtown and placed behind the museum complex, with a security fence around it.

The caboose was placed on a foundation, minus its wheels, to allow for easy public walk-in access from the depot building.

I'm told the caboose may be the last MoPac metal-side caboose with a wood interior. When the caboose was rehabilitated for museum use, all of the old wood was stripped out and new wood installed and finished. It makes a nice impression on visitors.

The caboose now houses considerable Missouri Pacific memorabilia and railroad-related artifacts.

Attached are some photos I snapped today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/12 18:07 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 05/26/12 18:00
Re: Old MoPac caboose with an updated interior

Three more interior pictures...

Date: 05/26/12 18:02

Last two interior views of MoPac caboose No. 942.

Date: 05/26/12 18:06

Moving the caboose to the museum site and having the interior restored cost the Historical Society a total of $13,000. Well worth the investment, in my opinion. Some interested historians defeated the vandals, in this instance.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds