Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Nostalgia & History > Age of Steam Museum (Museum of the American RR)

Date: 09/15/12 18:39
Age of Steam Museum (Museum of the American RR)
Author: Hirailgirl

I thought I would introduce myself a bit better than my first post in the UP 4018 thread a week and a half ago. I'm going to continue with a few more pictures taken that day, and a couple taken a bit more recently. I will miss seeing the trains at the Texas State Fair every year. To bid the museum a fond farewell, and to wish them well in the new location, this is a tribute to all the great memories I have of the Age of Steam Museum. In the photos you will see how small and cramped the Fair Park space is. They will have a much bigger place in Frisco. So, on with the pictures.
#1 We start with the UP 4018 in all her glory with a new paint job. All photos taken Nov. 4, 2007, unless noted otherwise.
#2 4018's stable mate, also claiming the title of "largest ever built", the UP 6913.
#3 One of my favorite locomotives in their collection ATSF 97.
more to come.

Date: 09/15/12 18:45
Re: Age of Steam Museum (Museum of the American RR)

#4 ATSF 97 from the other end.
#5 Frisco 4501
#6 Pennsy GG1

Date: 09/15/12 18:48
Author: filmteknik

Very nice and welcome.

I get worried when I see steam outdoors with the jacket and lagging still in place. The rain gets in, soaks the insulation, and corrodes the boiler. They look worse with bare boilers but better for preservation. Best of all is the jacket removed, lagging stripped away, and the jacket replaced with appropriate spacers. I have no idea what has been done with 4018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/12 18:48 by filmteknik.

Date: 09/15/12 18:49

#7 UP 4018
#8 UP 4018 from onboard the passenger car whose step you see in #7.
#9 A wig wag in their collection.

Date: 09/15/12 18:59

#10 ATSF 49 and the Frisco 1625 along with the Dallas Station featured on "History Detectives" Taken Sept. 27, 2010.
#11 DUT 7 the "seven spot" This is the only Steamer I saw in active service. Taken Oct. 4, 2011.
#12 ATSF Tower 19 with the Frisco 4501 Also taken on Oct. 4, 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/12 22:33 by Hirailgirl.

Date: 09/15/12 19:04

#13 Frisco 4501 and UP 4018. The GG1 is just the other side of 4018 next to the fence, that's how wide the museum is barely 3 tracks! That's it for now. Thanks for looking!

Date: 09/15/12 21:07
Author: DNRY122

Thanks for the look at a place I've never seen (and probably never will, considering that the collection is reportedly moving elsewhere). Looks like UP 4018 has received a paint job recently--good! The "Big Boys" have been museum pieces now for three times as long as they were in active service. I've seen photos of most of the Santa Fe FP-45's, and can now add 97 to the list. ATSF 98 is in running condition at Orange Empire (oerm.org) in Perris, Calif.

Date: 09/15/12 22:52

Filmteknik, I don't know what, if anything, was done about the lagging in any of the locomotives. Perhaps someone who has the answer to that question will chime in. I do have to admit, I was a bit concerned when I spotted vegitation growing out of the nooks and crannies of Frisco 4501. See the attached photo. I'm looking forward to seeing the new location. Perhaps they will be better able to keep the equipment in good shape there. A breif history note, in the photo of the GG1, the passenger cars to the left of the picture are on a small section of the original T&P main line into Dallas. This is the second rail line that made it to Dallas, the first being H&TC, it and the T&P crossed less than a half mile to the west of the museum.
Hirailgirl

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/12 22:57 by Hirailgirl.

Date: 09/16/12 04:01
Author: Evan_Werkema

Thanks for the photos - that US&S wigwag is a rare bird. Any shots of the M.160 and its streamlined obs?

Date: 09/16/12 09:19

Yes, I do have photos of them. Unfortunately, they are on slides. I'll have to see if I can find and scan them. The only digital shots are from National Train Day May 9, 2009 at DUT. I'm not sure why, but since they've got the M 160 opperational, they've been running it with the Glen Nevis. I haven't seen the stainles steel obs in quite some time. They did have a lot of their equipment stored off site, though. I'm pretty sure they still have it. Here are the NTD shots.

Date: 09/16/12 11:49
Author: wag216

Santa Fe 49? What is the real story? wag216

Date: 09/16/12 12:11

F9A ATSF 49 was originaly Canadian National 9167.

Date: 09/16/12 14:08
Author: nycman

Thank you for posting those. It looks as though the collection was well cared for, all the locos look quite presentable. Have any actually been moved to Frisco?

Date: 09/16/12 15:44

The M 160, Glen Nevis, 2 Armor Meat packing ice block refers, and four other freight cars are the only equipment currantly at Frisco. All of the single level passenger cars were moved as far as Irving Tx. last Tuesday. Upon passing an inspection by BNSF, they are scheduled to move to Frisco sometime this week. As of this posting none of the locomotives have been moved. I have not heard of any scheduled time, yet. They were trying to move all the equipment before this years Texas State Fair, but that starts September 28, so they are fast running out of time.

Date: 09/16/12 17:56
Author: U-3-b

The museum's website has been updated quite a bit lately with all that is happening. http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/Frisco/TheBigMoveRollingStock.aspx

Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds