Home Open Account Help 160 users online

Nostalgia & History > PRR mainline tour

Date: 09/27/12 04:59
PRR mainline tour
Author: mfroio

Hi Everyone, I am new to Train orders, My name is Mike Froio. For the past five years I have been working to document in photos the former PRR system east of Pittsburgh. Currently I am working with Amtrak, Conrail and some third party contractors.
I would like to share a link to my latest blog post on the former PRR York Haven Line at Codorus Creek.

http://wp.me/pRGsM-wa

Also if you are a NRHS member you should be getting the latest Bulletin which contains a feature article on the Mainline Project!

Thanks and I'm excited to become a part of this great forum!

Mike Froio

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/27/12 07:11
Re: PRR mainline tour
Author: ClubCar

I have my copy and it is a great article. The Pennsylvania Railroad was a tremendous operation; however with that said I have always been a B&O and Western Maryland fan more than a Pennsy one, yet I do like the Pennsy, only that I was around the B&O and Western Maryland most of my life.
Are you planning to cover more of the Pennsy, especially the parts in Maryland?

Date: 09/27/12 07:46

Thanks! glad to hear your enjoyed it! I am not necessarily biased, the B&O and WM were great railroads, and I would love to get back to Western Maryland to photograph, but the PRR for me was an interesting target because of the way the system evolved as two completely different railroads post PC/ Conrail. Had I started doing this in the 90's when CSX still had a string of towers along the main the project may have gone a completely different route.

For now I am focused on the Philadelphia Terminal Division with the occasional trip out to the Harrisburg area. I am pretty limited on funds for travel (and time) so I have been staying close to home... for now. I will be working my way down the Maryland Division mainline and hopefully a long weekend in the spring on the eastern Shore, where there are some great branch line operations. My goal in this project is to cover all lines from Pittsburgh and Mingo Junction east, its a big stretch but the mainline between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh currently has about one picture per every five miles of track give or take!

Date: 09/27/12 17:11
Author: N6B

Mike, You do great work. Please keep it up. Sincerely, Bill

Date: 09/27/12 17:14

Thank you Bill! Much appreciated!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds