Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > X5724 west at Belmont 1960

Date: 11/06/12 10:29
X5724 west at Belmont 1960
Author: photobob

Here's another view of Belmont in 1960. This time we find Alco 5849 leading X5724 toward the San Francisco area. Some of these trains went to Bayshore Yard while others continued on to Mission Bay Yard in SF.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 11/06/12 11:11
Re: X5724 west at Belmont 1960
Author: garrett

That siding on the right received boxcars of Christmas trees well into the 90's.

What was the siding originally used for?

Date: 11/06/12 12:40
Author: FiveChime

Looks like a switcher back in the consist one car back.

Great times on the SP!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/06/12 17:51
Author: sp8270

garrett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That siding on the right received boxcars of
> Christmas trees well into the 90's.
>
> What was the siding originally used for?

No way! I didn't know that. That would have been cool to see.

-Alex

Date: 11/07/12 20:16
Author: Auburn_Ed

Almost every station on the Peninsula had a freight depot at one time (and/or short siding for a couple boxcars and RPO car). Redwood City even had a small 'yard'. I remember seeing Chris Craft boats being delivered on flat cars. Freight was delivered right where you needed it in those days. I 'think' I remember a freight house in Belmont, but can't be sure. Box cars spotted on those spurs/sidings made good photo platforms. Photobob MUST remember climbing to the tops for a good photo. He just won't post them. (Or would he?) One of my favorite spots was on top of the signal bridge in Redwood City. Almost no one ever noticed.

Ed

Date: 11/07/12 21:07
Author: wpdude

OK. You got me on this one, because the spur on the right is between the tracks and El Camino. What is the approx. location (cross street, etc)? I actually have B/W photos inside Redwood Tower before Woodside Rd overpass was built, if I can find "em! The whole area East of the mainline was laced with industrial tracks, back in the days in RWC (Redwood City).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds