Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Huntington, WV, some history and the B&O

Date: 11/09/12 17:16
Huntington, WV, some history and the B&O
Author: bandob

During our storm-enforced week in Huntington, WV, I took some walks around downtown and the river front. My first historical discovery was Elk River Coal and Lumber Steam Locomotive, #10. The 2-8-2 locomotive was moved to its current location in 1977 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 14:37 by bandob.

Date: 11/09/12 17:19
Re: Huntington, WV, some history and the B&O

The location, I then discovered, was the former B&O Passenger Station. A heavyweight Pullman-observation was also on display. It's name: Collis P. Huntington.

The depot is now home to the Visitors Center and a VERY nice craft and gift shop, featuring local artists.

B&OBill

Date: 11/09/12 17:24

When I got home, I went looking at my old B&O timetables to better understand B&O Service to Huntington. In 1947, 3 trains a day came into Huntington, including one with an overnight pullman car from Pittsburgh, that went on to Hinton via C&O. Hopefully someone on the board will be able to tell us how that transfer was made from B&O to C&O. Why, I wonder, was there business for a Pittsburgh-Hinton sleeper?

By 1958, all that was left was a mixed train from Parkersburg, WV to Huntington.

B&OBill

Date: 11/09/12 19:06
Author: GP35

Very interesting! Thanks for posting!

Date: 11/13/12 19:33
Author: Yarddogh

This is a great stuff. As a kid, I used to go down to the depot in Ravenswood.
I recall an old coach which used to be parked back of the shack there (?)
A railroad employee gave me a bunch of old B&O magazines from
that same late 50's, early 60s period. Have them here somewhere. Out in SF now . .

Date: 11/15/12 23:45
Author: chakk

Timetable from the 1940s? No domes on any of the B&O consists.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds