Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Nostalgia & History > My favorite intermodal train of all time...

Date: 11/09/12 20:54
My favorite intermodal train of all time...
Author: Alco251

This is White Pass & Yukon Route train #2 the off-season mixed train to Skagway, about to depart Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada, on October 14, 1981, when the WP&YR was a "real" railroad hauling containerized freight, raw ore and a few passengers who, in the absence of the tourist trade, were accomodated in the mixed-train caboose/combine. The train will depart Whitehorse and stop a few miles south of town at Utah yard, where flatcars of intermodal ore carriers will be added to the consist. The WP&YR's existence as freight carrier had about a year left...it would be mothballed and reborn as a major tourist attraction for the growing Alaska cruise ship trade. Alas, passenger service today extends only from Skagway to Carcross, YT, and the rails north to Whitehorse are disused. David R. Busse photo.

Date: 11/09/12 22:55
Re: My favorite intermodal train of all time...
Author: coach

There was recent talk of the WP&Y hauling freight again--copper, I believe--from way towards the end of the line. Any news??

Date: 11/10/12 07:32
Author: tomstp

Won't happen. Railroad decided against it even though shipper was adamant.

Date: 11/18/12 16:41
Author: navarch1

I hope you don't mind....I brightened it up a bit.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0276 seconds