Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > The "Other" B&M

Date: 11/17/12 06:59
The "Other" B&M
Author: DrLoco

The Beaufort & Morehead of course! Apologies for the slide dust...still perfecting my "dust removal" in PS.
Based in North Carolina, I seem to recall a "Railroad you can model" article in Model Railroader in the 90's about this line. I believe that it hauled Jet Fuel for the Marine base nearby.
This is a scan of a slide by my friend Bob Jetmore. He took it on Oct 14,1984, and has locomotive #95 listed as a 65 ton Whitcomb...
(Edited to correct which branch of the military it served--thanks PHall!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 07:08 by DrLoco.

Date: 11/17/12 07:01
Re: The "Other" B&M
Author: PHall

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Beaufort & Morehead of course!
> Based in North Carolina, I seem to recall a
> "Railroad you can model" article in Model
> Railroader in the 90's about this line. I believe
> that it hauled Jet Fuel for the air force base
> nearby.
> This is a scan of a slide by my friend Bob
> Jetmore. He took it on Oct 14,1984, and has
> locomotive #95 listed as a 65 ton Whitcomb...

Actually, they hauled jet fuel for the Marines.

Date: 11/17/12 08:02
Author: miralomarail

This is the first Color photo I have seen of their power, thanks alot for this photo !

Date: 11/17/12 09:16
Author: DrLoco

I can't decide if that is an off white, or more of a flat sliver stripe. Either way, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the photo--Obscure stuff fascinates me!

Date: 11/17/12 10:30
Author: ctillnc

Part of the former B&M (from Radio Island to the interchange with NS at Morehead City) is still served by the Morehead and South Fork, which is operated by Carolina Coastal. The easternmost portion of the B&M from Radio Island into Beaufort was abandoned in 1992.

Fuel was interchanged from the docks at Morehead City and Radio Island to NS for delivery to MCAS Cherry Point, then and now the headquarters of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 10:34 by ctillnc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds