Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > Question answered in Cajon

Date: 11/17/12 20:18
Question answered in Cajon
Author: Alco251

The question always bugged me since I set foot in Cajon Pass, with camera, 32 years ago. Could one ever compose a photograph showing both tunnels (now daylighted) on the Santa Fe, now BNSF, "North track?" Many expeditions in four-wheel-drive proved fruitless. Then, shortly before double-tracking and tunnel daylight commenced a few years ago, I enlisted the help of veteran helicopter pilot Pete Gillies. We had precious minutes to spare--I was doing another project for a deep-pockets customer--but I wanted to do some low-altitude exploring, and he was up to the challenge, since he had been doing support work on the tunnel daylight survey project just days earlier.

We got lucky and got a train.

Wish I could have stuck around and gotten another, just to play with angles, focal lengths, etc. I'm not real happy with the pictures I got, but I did get something to show that it could be done. You might get a kick out of these different angles on a very familiar area.

Best part...somebody else picked up the tab.

Pete Gillies (photo 3) is the "Chuck Yeager" of American helicopter pilots...the best precision lift pilot there is. Pilots from all over the world come to Rialto to learn advanced mountain flying and heavy lift techniques from Pete. He flies every day. And next month, he turns 80.

Photos by David R. Busse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 20:32 by Alco251.

Date: 11/17/12 21:16
Re: Question answered in Cajon
Author: wpdude

2 things ya gotta know. Those shots are incredible! Don't mess with an 'ol bird! JMHO! Thanks fer sharing!

Date: 11/18/12 06:06
Re: Question answered in Cajon
Author: jpf94

Pete Gillies (photo 3) is the "Chuck Yeager" of American helicopter pilots...the best precision lift pilot there is. Pilots from all over the world come to Rialto to learn advanced mountain flying and heavy lift techniques from Pete. He flies every day. And next month, he turns 80.

**Nothing beats real world experience****

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds