Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > The "C" in CSX

Date: 11/20/12 17:05
The "C" in CSX
Author: erie833

Just thought I'd post a sample of earlier CSX in my area that features the Chessie System portion. That bright 70's style Chessie image looked pretty good, and thankfully it lasted a while into the merger.

As yet to be re-numbered C&O 4281 leads R136 at the Akron/Cuyahoga Falls border on July 28th, 1987. The middle two units have received their new CSX numbers.

CSX 6097 leads a Sunday 8 unit westbound 133 at the east end of New Castle, Pa. (West Pittsburgh IIRC). That's the P&LE on the right with that double mast NYC style signal....and with one of the main tracks OOS. August 21st, 1988.

One benefit of the CSX merger was an influx of GE's on the former B&O. CSX 5578, ex C&O, leads Q217 west through Barberton, Ohio on May 31st, 1990. That's what's left of the ex Erie main on the left.

RAD

Date: 11/20/12 21:00
Re: The "C" in CSX
Author: miralomarail

Thanks, this is the Railroad in Indiana I remember

Date: 11/20/12 22:53
Author: coach

Looking back, it's pretty amazing how many RR's ran lots of freights (including heavy coal / manifest trains) with B-B axle units. B&O did it alot, if I remember correctly. So did WP and others. That's what gets me the most about these great photos--heavy mainline freights running with B-B units in the lead.

Date: 11/21/12 05:06
Author: shoretower

About the last new B-B units I remember Class I railroads purchasing were GP60s. SP, for some reason, bought quite a few. This would have been late 1980s.

Date: 11/21/12 06:21
Author: ctillnc

After Southern's disappointment over their GP50s -- they bought 90 of them, more than any other railroad -- I was surprised that 10 years later, NS took a chance on 50 GP60s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds