Home Open Account Help 200 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two Old PRS Trip Shots

Date: 11/30/12 14:44
Two Old PRS Trip Shots
Author: tehachcond

Here are two shots that were taken by my father, Nolan Black on two different Pacific Railroad Society trips back in the '50s. Neither of these shots are dated, so I'm only guessing about the dates.

1. A Los Angeles to Bakersfield trip shot during a photo run by just east of the east switch at Ravenna, in Soledad Canyon. If you look closely, you will see the train was running as 1-803, a second class freight schedule, instead of 2-51, the second section of the San Joaquin Daylight as they usually did. I was only about 8 or 9 years old at this time, but I clearly remember the roar of those "Malleys" as they worked up the grades. Yeah, I know, they were not true Mallets, but the old SP guys that are left still refer to them as "Malleys."

2. I believe this shot was taken at Owenyo. Owenyo, California was the connection point between the Southern Pacific standard gauge coming from Mojave, and the narrow gauge Keeler branch, which ran from Keeler to Laws. I don't remember any other details about this trip.

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments welcome.

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor
Castle rock, CO

Date: 11/30/12 15:26
Re: Two Old PRS Trip Shots
Author: Frisco1522

Great shots! Keep 'em coming.

Date: 11/30/12 16:24
Author: YG

Wow!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/30/12 16:50
Author: DynamicBrake

Great shots Brian...sure hope the Malley soot didn't soil the ladies dresses. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in Carmel Valley

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds