Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > Life is good....or it sure was in 1990

Date: 12/04/12 18:37
Life is good....or it sure was in 1990
Author: Super_C

Back before the days of folks like Rusty and restrictions on trespassing by ranchers on California's Tehachapi Pass, life was good. I mean really good! You could find a place to park under a tree with a view, relax, and shoot the SP like fish in a barrel. Here are a couple of visual examples of what I mean. All this happened at Bealville, CA in April 1990 while the hills were green.

#1 Tripods set up for an eastbound; my wife, Marcia, who manned one of the tripods, and our faithful Yellow Lab, Katy, napping on the tailgate of the trusty Ford with the license plate I have had for more than 30 years.

#2 Might as well include a shot from the setup seen in the first picture.

#3 And finally, we had to walk a few yards for another shot of eastbounds.

Life is still good. Katy is gone; so is the truck, but we have countless memories of shooting pictures together from border to border and beyond. These days, we make do with the opportunities that still present themselves avoiding the likes of Rusty or the Flagstaff switcher! I sure am thankful for all the good times I (we) have enjoyed. Sometimes it is nice to look back! It is also nice to look forward to what 2013 might offer.

Date: 12/04/12 19:03
Re: Life is good....or it sure was in 1990
Author: TonyJ

Looks like you were there around April-May when the grass was nice and green.

Date: 12/04/12 19:45
Author: RuleG

The grass is GREEN
And SP 8253 is relatively CLEAN

Yes, life was good.

Date: 12/04/12 19:47
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice recollections of "the way it was".
JB

Date: 12/04/12 19:58
Author: aussiehinz

Great photos. Never been to Tehachapi. Sounds like the changes have been severe.

Date: 12/04/12 20:05
Author: qman

Sigh ...................

qman

Date: 12/04/12 20:09
Author: icancmp193

In the mid to late 70's, TO member JimB and I just used to pull into the Loop, set up some chairs, have a picnic lunch (prepared by Mrs JimB), and watch the show. In later years we'd visit other spots too...Woodford, Caliente, and the like. To a couple Eastern transplants, it was the greatest railroad show on Earth.

Tom Y

Date: 12/04/12 20:19
Author: bradleymckay

aussiehinz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos. Never been to Tehachapi. Sounds
> like the changes have been severe.

Don't let the changes keep you from going. I've been there 3 times in the last 6 months and every trip (ok, it's only a 2-3 hour drive for me) has been worthwhile. Plenty of places to go beside the Loop...

BTW nice photos John!

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/12 20:19 by bradleymckay.

Date: 12/05/12 00:38
Author: Steamjocky

I'm surprised SPLoopConductor isn't on the front platform in the second photo waving to you.

JDE

Date: 12/05/12 00:48
Author: Fizzboy7

Awesome pictures and I understand your setiments. I was doing the loop regularly during the late 80's to mid-90's and the action was intense without any concerns. Someday we are going to look back at shots taken *on the Loop* and get weak in the knees. Who would have thought.

Date: 12/05/12 02:01
Author: defect_detector

Someday is already here Jason...

These classic SP threads are worth the cost of admission here on TO. Keep the great photos coming guys.

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> Awesome pictures and I understand your setiments.
> I was doing the loop regularly during the late
> 80's to mid-90's and the action was intense
> without any concerns. Someday we are going to
> look back at shots taken *on the Loop* and get
> weak in the knees. Who would have thought.

Date: 12/05/12 02:35
Author: lionelow

When I used to go over to the States I used to get some good shots from on the side of the hill at the upper end of the loop just back in from where the track goes around to the right at the tunnel there on the way uphill. Is it still okay to go thru the fence and onto that land? On google you can see a path worn in there from walkers. How restricted is access to there? Or do they just stop access to the service road beside the loop?

Thanks.
Lionel Owen
Adelaide...... Australia

Date: 12/05/12 04:47
Author: coach

That 3rd photo is quintessential California--the green hills in Spring, the widely spaced, beautiful old oak trees, tan hills---and lots of SP power on heavy freights.

Just perfect!

Can't wait until Mr. Rusty retires. As soon as he wants to go somewhere and relax, we'll be there to remind him it's "illegal", and that he "needs to move along, right now."

Date: 12/05/12 09:32
Author: IC_2024

Thanks, Super_C for the look back... what an idyllic time that was. In 1990-91, my whole crew, Condr. McGrath, Engr Gosney, and my dad all drove on our layover off Amtrak 708 with another engineer's "Bakersfield" car and had a blast!
I especially like your shot with the wife and dog sitting on the truck tailgate!

Date: 12/05/12 10:31
Author: WP282

Great stuff, great memories. I have camped in that very spot along with a few fellow TO members.

Mike

Date: 12/05/12 12:27
Author: P5r24

coach Wrote:
>
> Just perfect!
>
> Can't wait until Mr. Rusty retires. As soon as
> he wants to go somewhere and relax, we'll be there
> to remind him it's "illegal", and that he "needs
> to move along, right now."

Are you saying you haven't heard about Rusty Jr?

A real mean one he is.
Gotta 3 inch bone spike growing right out of his forehead above the right eye.

LOL,
Gary

Date: 12/05/12 12:58
Author: jimB

>In the mid to late 70's, TO member JimB and I just used to pull into the Loop, set up some chairs, have a picnic lunch (prepared by Mrs JimB), and watch the show. In later years we'd visit other spots >too...Woodford, Caliente, and the like. To a couple Eastern transplants, it was the greatest railroad show on Earth.

>Tom Y

Fun times back when the SP trains could barely make it up the hill. Would have been nice to have my digital camera back then!

Stopped by there last New years on the way back from SoCal and it was dead, but Cajon was busier than I had ever seen it.

Jim B

Date: 12/08/12 23:12
Author: RRSIGNGUY1

I've never been there... but it looks like a great location to photograph trains and enjoy mother nature.
But i have to admit that it upsets me that i may never see this place through my own eyes because of landowner's, railroad police and certain government officials.....what happened to land of the free?
Great photo's by the way...Joe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0692 seconds