Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > CC&P meet on Buckbee Siding after snowstorm

Date: 12/09/12 09:36
CC&P meet on Buckbee Siding after snowstorm
Author: ICG

In Rockford IL on December 15 1987 I was hanging around my girlfriends apartment, annoying her with my scanner chattering. I heard a call come through about a meet on Buckbee siding. The only problem was, a severe blizzard was raging. I put on a snowmobile suit, grabbed my camera and started walking. There where no cars at all, only snowmobiles racing up and down the middle of 9th Street. Finally after a mile trudging through the snow, I made it to the siding. The meet occurred shortly after. Tom Paris

Date: 12/09/12 09:46
Re: CC&P meet on Buckbee Siding after snowstorm
Author: rsanchez

Sure do miss those old GP10/8's on the Sioux City and Omaha line.

Date: 12/09/12 11:13
Author: ns2557

Nice catch there. Looks awfully cold. We are getting our first big snow of the season here in Colo today, at least here in Canon City. About 4 inches so far and wind blowing it about a little. I'll do some armchair fanning today, not gonna get out in it,not that there are any trains to shoot anymore along this line. Thanks for sharing. Ben

Date: 12/09/12 12:24
Author: RRSIGNGUY1

Great pics!!!!
I also caught a meet at this location in the 90's but didn't have my camera with me at the time....ugh.
My Grandmother lived on 11th Ave at the west end of Buckbee Siding the late 70's through the 90's, tracks were in her back yard.
I remember back in the seventy's and early eighty's when I was in grade school seeing GM&O units in the mix and frequent meets at Buckbee Siding. I would spend all day walking along the tracks and watching the signals to see if a train was coming.Wish I would have had a camera back then...
If you have any pics of this period please share....Thanks Joe.

By the way CN just tore up Buckbee Siding, sad just like an old friend dieing...

Date: 12/09/12 14:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow, great effort.
JB

Date: 12/09/12 20:35
Author: IC_2024

Great shots and back story, TP! I was living over at 1405 Rural St at the time and working the board out of Chi- remember the CC&P (and your GF, well)she was a good looker!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/09/12 20:55
Author: bnsfsd70

Great shots and effort! I grew up near Chicago with the CCP being withing a few hundred yards of my house, and have quite a few memories of the line.

- Jeff

Date: 12/10/12 17:03
Author: SD45X

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, great effort.
> JB

Indeed!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1543 seconds