Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Nostalgia & History > NYC Alco RS - Commuter Service?

Date: 12/13/12 17:54
NYC Alco RS - Commuter Service?
Author: OscarManheim

Came across this "color positive" film image mixed-in with some 1950s negatives from the New York City area. I don't have much to go by, but I'm guessing it's a short-haul local or commuter service on a branch. Any help with location or date ID would be appreciated!

-Manny

Date: 12/13/12 19:17
Re: NYC Alco RS - Commuter Service?
Author: Ray_Murphy

It could be taken somewhere on the NYC's Putnam Division along the Saw Mill River. That transmission line on the ridge looks a lot like the one that ran down the hills just to the east of the Saw Mill River in Westchester County.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 19:26 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 12/13/12 19:55
Author: aussiehinz

Yes, it could. However, with that hefty pole line, and what appears to be two main line tracks, I'd offer that the photo was taken on the Harlem Division main line, north of the end of third rail electrification at North White Plains, between there and Brewster. That area the Harlem Division traverses also looks a lot like that in the picture. Many Harlem Division passenger trains also carried head end cars like the train in the photo is doing, while the Put, by this late date, with abandonment looming, was almost exclusively a commuter coach only operation.

Date: 12/13/12 21:53
Author: rob_l

Very cool, lightning stripes on the move!

Best regards,

Rob L.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds