Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Nostalgia & History > 100 years of Tidewater Southern interurbans

Date: 12/16/12 10:21
100 years of Tidewater Southern interurbans
Author: zephyrus

I am slowly, slowly rebuilding the www.TidewaterSouthern.com website (on top of all my other projects), but thought I would pause today and note that about 100 years ago, the TS took delivery of their only interurban passenger cars. (I say about as the exact date has proven elusive. Some records say December 1912, others list several different months in 1913.)

For an interurban railroad of the early 20th century, the TS had a tiny roster: 3 passenger cars and 1 express motor (listed as built in mid 1913). The passenger cars were all combines, another unusual if not unique aspect. All were built by Jewett and today two survive: TS 200 at the Western Railway Museum (off exhibit and unrestored, but under cover) and TS 202 built into a building near Hatch, CA. TS 201 survived the end of interurban service in 1932 (which ran only between Stockton and Modesto) as well. All three were section houses near Hatch (the junction between the TS "mainline" to Hilmar, CA and the major "branch" to Turlock) until the mid 1960s. At that point, 201 seems to have vanished.

The mystery of the roster is express motor 300. No photos are known of this car (wonder if LoggerHogger has some buried in his vault of mysteries), described as a wooden, double truck, single door, arch roof box motor, 45' long. It reportedly became a caboose and was retired from motorized service very early. It survived until at least late 1927.

So, here are some photos from the bygone interurban era, featuring one of the least known California interurban railways. And, aside from the Central California Traction and some segments of other lines here and there, one of the few that still sees regular service on its lines.

Z

1 - TS 201 and 202 waiting for passengers at the waterfront in Stockton. The TS trains also boarded passengers at the Stockton Hotel, then proceeded down the Stockton Electric line along Hunter Street to the former Alameda and San Joaquin Ry. line. Photo by R. C. Brandt.

2 - TS 202 at Modesto, sitting in the middle of Ninth Street. The Modesto Creamery water tank is visible in the background. A second car is coupled behind the 202. Photographer unknown.

3 - The interior of TS 200 at the Western Railway Museum, Rio Vista Jct. One day, I would love to ride a real TS car down the mainline through Solano County. Photo by Wendy Holtz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 10:24 by zephyrus.

Date: 12/16/12 10:34
Re: 100 years of Tidewater Southern interurbans
Author: LoggerHogger

I may have a shot of #300 around here. Until I can turn it up here is a shot of TS #201 in Modesto.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 10:38 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/16/12 16:10

Neat shot! Don't think I have ever seen that one before. Thanks for posting it, Martin.

TS' interurbans, based on the photos I have seen, appear to have been rarely shot while out on the line. I have probably seen about 2 dozen good photos of them over the years and maybe 6 were action shots. The rest were around terminals, which makes sense: Easiest place to find them. But what always amuses me is that near every single photo I have seen with the cars stopped has one or more crew members, always smartly dressed, posing with their "charge". I think I have seen maybe 2 shots at stations without crew.

Got a private question about the TS' electrification. Here's some quick info:

The passenger operations only ran between the Stockton waterfront and Modesto. Before 1917, the TS had their own line to the east of the WP and SP yards. It ran along what was Sharps Lane (now Airport Way) and then Pilgrim Street. Today this area is completely developed with industrial buildings until the very northern end along Pilgrim Street. Just past the Santa Fe, trains entered CCT trackage on Pilgrim Street, then turned left onto Weber Street, terminating at the Stockton waterfront.

After 1917, the line into Stockton was abandoned and a new line crossed the WP and SP at Ortega and used the old Alameda and SAn Joaquin right of way into Stockton. Trains again used trackage rights past the Santa Fe, but by now it was on Stockton Electric rails, which took over much of CCT's city trackage in 1915.

TS interurban trains ran from November 15, 1913 until May 26, 1932. The Manteca Branch was also electrified, but no passenger service has ever been documented on that line. The overhead was removed from the branch around 1930 and used to electrify the Sacramento Northern's new connection to its once isolated Fairfield - Vacaville line from Creed to Cordero. The mainline wire came down in late 1932, except for a little over two miles in Modesto which famously lasted for freight service until late 1947 due to Modesto city ordinance.

Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 22:29 by zephyrus.

Date: 12/16/12 18:51
Author: TomCarter

Eugene, Sharps Lane was the prior name of Airport Way. Why they changed the name is beyond me. Not sure when they changed the name of the street either. Perhaps you were thinking of along El Dorado street? It did run along that industrial spur, which is still in place) that served Heinz and reconnected to the mainline near Ortega.

Date: 12/16/12 18:57
Author: Westbound

Don't know if this is on your website but when I lived in Modesto this info came to light...

Because of their potential for frightening horses, the use of steam locomotives to power trains on the 9th Street portion of the line (tracks in the middle of the street) was forbidden by the City of Modesto’s franchise granted to the TS. Thus electric freight engines were used, added ahead of steam locomotives, towing them and the train, until the arrival of diesels in 1948. This allowed removal of the overhead wires and the retirement of the old electric engines.

The fact that Southern Pacific was running with 100% steam engines on its parallel mainline, just 300 feet away did not seem to matter.

Date: 12/16/12 19:22

TomCarter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eugene, Sharps Lane was the prior name of Airport
> Way. Why they changed the name is beyond me. Not
> sure when they changed the name of the street
> either. Perhaps you were thinking of along El
> Dorado street? It did run along that industrial
> spur, which is still in place) that served Heinz
> and reconnected to the mainline near Ortega.

Thanks, Tom.

I read somewhere that Sharps / Airport was realigned further east at some point. The original TS line was gone by 1918.

Z

Date: 12/17/12 00:48
Author: lwilton

Can anyone place Martin's shot in downtown Modesto? I'm curious what the area looks like today.

Date: 12/17/12 08:09

My best guess is Ninth Street near the intersection with J Street. The TS depot was located there and the trains stopped right in the street. If I'm correct, then if one could turn left, the SP depot would be visible behind the trees. The shot I posted of the 202 in Modesto is probably the same location, just looking the other direction.

Z

Date: 12/19/12 23:53
Author: Evan_Werkema

zephyrus Wrote:

> My best guess is Ninth Street near the
> intersection with J Street. The TS depot was
> located there and the trains stopped right in the
> street. If I'm correct, then if one could turn
> left, the SP depot would be visible behind the
> trees. The shot I posted of the 202 in Modesto is
> probably the same location, just looking the other
> direction.

The Sanborn Map from 1919 shows the Modesto Creamery at 9th between E and F. I'm striking out on LoggerHogger's photo, though - can't find a D&P Hardware anywhere along 9th. There was a Turner Hardware & Implement at 9th and H, but it's on the wrong corner.

Date: 12/20/12 04:50
Author: lwilton

Where did you find a working Sanborn map? I tripped over some once long ago, but now all I can find is a bunch of links to a libraries-only site or assorted "buy the map for only $701!" sites.

Date: 12/20/12 10:53
Author: Evan_Werkema

I used a computer on a university network.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0842 seconds