Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > Fairbury, Nebraska.(Rock Island Depot Museum)

Date: 12/18/12 17:59
Fairbury, Nebraska.(Rock Island Depot Museum)
Author: tolland

I've had the pleasure of visiting Fairbury Nebraska on 3 different occasions, 2004, 2006 and 2007. Here are a few pictures from those visits.

Photo #1 shows the front (north) side of the depot museum in May of 2006. It's a striking brick depot building that has been restored.

Photo #2 shows the waiting room in the Fairbury depot, May of 2006.

Photo #3 shows the HO scale layout upstairs in the Fairbury depot.

Date: 12/18/12 18:03
Re: Fairbury, Nebraska.(Rock Island Depot Museum)
Author: tolland

Photo #4, the telegrapher's desk upstairs in the depot, May of 2006.

Photo #5: UP Steam ties up at the Rock Island depot museum, September of 2007.

Photo #6: Another view of the north (front) side of the depot museum, September of 2007.

Enjoy!
Jim Burrill

Date: 12/19/12 07:55
Author: YG

That is a nice depot - glad it was saved and restored.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 12/19/12 09:51
Author: rob_l

'Twas a crew change point on the Rock.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 12/19/12 12:17
Author: ddg

In photo #4 there are two 3-1/4" red globes on the table. The one left is a "fresnel" ribbed globe made for the later Kerosine hand lanterns. They put out several times as much light as standard round globes. The one on the right is a glass Fresnel as well, but if you look close you will see the rib pattern is different. These were/are used for road crossing gate arms, and not for lanterns. Next time you see one of the older road crossing gates come down, it may still have this type of globe in it.

Date: 12/20/12 12:56
Author: keithinmiami

Thanks for posting. I enjoy Rock Island memories ... and will have to make a visit here.

Date: 12/20/12 19:28
Author: Gonut1

More amazing is the ergonomic typewriter!
Gonut

Date: 12/20/12 22:14
Author: lwilton

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More amazing is the ergonomic typewriter!

"Seceretary desks" (I have one that I use as my desk at home) often were arranged so that the right-side "drawers" were actually a door that opened, and a tilting shelf a little above knee level slid out on a glide. The shelf was spring-counterbalanced and had a manual typewriter bolted to it. You would open the door, slide the typewriter out on the shelf, lift the shelf up until it locked horizontally, and do whatever typing you needed with the keyboard at a convenient height. Then you would put the typewriter away and close the door, ending up with a nice executive-looking desk with no ugly office machines on or near it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0923 seconds