Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Cucamonga

Date: 12/24/12 08:15
ATSF Cucamonga
Author: lamta_jay

Here are 2 pictures I took when the company I worked for moved to Rancho Cucamonga. This is probably not of great interest to most of you, just a look back to what it looked like in the early 1980's.

First the station was still standing. Took this in 1984

Second is the back of the warehouse that I worked out of was at the current (1983)end of the Cucamonga-Foothill Spur. The rails went past Foothill but they probably could not use them. also the spur off the spur to the Virginia Dare Winery was still in tact. Wish I had taken some pictures of that!

I have no idea what is left today of this spur or this area.

Thanks for looking ,

JAY

Date: 12/24/12 08:30
Re: ATSF Cucamonga
Author: miralomarail

This spur ends about 1000 feet before Route 66 / Foothill Blvd and across Foothill is a Large shopping Center, with nothing to remind us of what once was there.

The Virgina Dare Winery has become office's

Date: 12/24/12 10:08
Author: OCVarnes

After the Virginia Dare winery closed it fell into ruin and was used as a location for filming a WW II TV series. I think the series was named Combat.

Corrections/additional information appreciated.

OCV

Date: 12/24/12 12:11
Author: lamta_jay

I remember an episode of Manix or Canon filmed there in the 1970's

Jay

Date: 12/24/12 14:15
Author: SteveD

A few years ago i did a little research on this spur and wrote up a one page summary. I won't bore you all by posting the whole thing here, but for those interested I'd be glad to share by e-mail, just leave me a p.m. here. btw. I just rediscovered that I posted the whole page on the Yahoo Citrus Modelers board a few years ago, but may soon pull it as it needs a few updates and Yahoo still doesn't permit edits to old posts:<(. Surprising how often the topic has come up over past few years on various websites, e.g. WCRF.

Steve Donaldson
Pacific Grove, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/12 11:14 by SteveD.

Date: 12/24/12 17:14
Author: rgcw5

I say please bore us!

Date: 12/24/12 19:00
Author: mwbridgwater

CharlesVarnes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After the Virginia Dare winery closed it fell into
> ruin and was used as a location for filming a WW
> II TV series. I think the series was named
> Combat.

You may be thinking of "Rat Patrol". At least one episode of that was filmed there.

Mark

Date: 12/24/12 21:48
Author: sphauler

rgcw5 Wrote:
> I say please bore us!

I 2nd that!

Date: 12/25/12 00:01
Author: DNRY122

And who would have dreamed that a commuter train station would be built a mile or two east, and have about forty trains stopping there every weekday? Not bad for a town that us old-timers remember as the third stop for the mythical train on the Jack Benny radio program.

Date: 12/25/12 07:10
Author: lwilton

mwbridgwater Wrote:
> CharlesVarnes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > After the Virginia Dare winery closed it fell into
> > ruin and was used as a location for filming a WW
> > II TV series. I think the series was named
> > Combat.
>
> You may be thinking of "Rat Patrol". At least one
> episode of that was filmed there.

"Combat" used to film there quite often, like every few weeks. I lived (and still live) a couple blocks from there and would ride my bike over and watch them make lots of noise for a couple minutes a couple times an hour, and spend the rest of the time getting in position for the next scene. Sometimes (if I recall correctly) they would be there every day for a week or two straight shooting scenes that would then be used in most of the episodes of the season.

I'm sure many other TV shows and movies also filmed there, possibly including Rat Patrol. That was a series after I stopped watching TV, so I can't confirm or deny that it shot there.

Date: 12/25/12 08:01
Author: PERichardson

DNRY122 Wrote:
> And who would have dreamed that a commuter train
> station would be built a mile or two east, and
> have about forty trains stopping there every
> weekday? Not bad for a town that us old-timers
> remember as the third stop for the mythical train
> on the Jack Benny radio program.

Anaheim, Azusa and Coook-a-munga. I think Mel Blanc did the honors. Today they've tarted up the name to Rancho Cucamonga.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/12 08:03 by masterphots.

Date: 12/29/12 23:55
Author: mwbridgwater

Yes, there was definitely at least one episode of Rat Patrol shot there. I saw it and the location is unmistakable.

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds