Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Nostalgia & History > What happened to the magazines Rail Classics and Railro

Date: 01/12/13 23:02
What happened to the magazines Rail Classics and Railro
Author: C.P.Huntington

While packing up some old magazines I came a cross an old copy of Rail Classics.
It occurred to me that I haven't seen an issue of this magazine or Railroad Modeler
magazine in at least 15 years. A search of the web showed that the publisher, Challenge
Publications, is still in business, but the company's website makes no mention of
either magazine. Are these magazines still published? If not, when did they quit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/13 23:03 by C.P.Huntington.

Date: 01/12/13 23:11
Re: What happened to the magazines Rail Classics and Ra
Author: miralomarail

The last issue of Rail Classic's was in 1998

Date: 01/13/13 03:08
Author: andersonb109

Challenge Publications main business was (and probably still is) shall we say "adult" magazines. At least that's what I was told. When in that business, it's always good to publish a few socially redeeming magazines as well. They were always secondary to the main business and in my opinion quality was lacking compared with their competitors.

Date: 01/13/13 09:08
Author: webmaster

Rail classics was printed on real cheap paper and the color reproduction was lousy. However, I remembered I enjoyed the material as it had a Southern California slant to it.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 01/13/13 10:53
Author: rev66vette

Despite their quality issues, they had a lot of issues that are in demand today.....

Date: 01/13/13 18:42
Author: garr

In looking back thru a few back issues a few months ago I seem to remember seeing some quality authors in the Rail Classic issues. Hate to say I can not remember specific names but do remember that thought being imprinted on my mind.

Jay

Date: 01/14/13 07:02
Author: cpr-hogger

I last saw an issue in 1986 of Rail Classics some of my coworkers called it Rail Comix, because it had pictures printed backwards,wrong captions. Etc. Ed

Date: 01/14/13 07:12
Author: fehorse1

The name David Lustig sticks in my mind.

Date: 01/14/13 13:28
Author: fbe

Rail Classics was the first magazine which kept, lost, failed to return images a friend used to illustrate an article. I never bought one after that.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds