Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > On the Buttonwillow Branch

Date: 02/03/13 08:37
On the Buttonwillow Branch
Author: lamta_jay

Just a couple more from the SP/SJVR Buttonwillow Branch in the lower San Joaquin Valley of California. All taken between 1991 & 1995

The first shot is the local after switching the one active industry in this area. Taken between New Stine and Gosford Road. GP35u 6331 was pretty rare find in the early 1990's

The second shot taken on a very hot July day when Lee Meyers and I just happen to chase this train all the way to Buttonwillow and then back here to Bowerbank. The industry in this picture is the industry you can see when on I-5 crossing over this branch. Tank cars are from Buttonwillow. 1993

And third After the take-over by SJVR, taken Just west (RR EAST) of the station name of ROGAS. The train is aproaching the RR crossing of Calif State Route 43. Most of these hopper cars (C&NW) are on the way to the siding at Bowerbank same siding as seen in pic # 2. Bowerbank and Frito-Lay were/are the biggest customers on this branch.

Thanks for looking..."See YOU Down the Tracks"

Jay

Date: 02/03/13 19:56
Re: On the Buttonwillow Branch
Author: atsf121

Fun photos, that industry at Bowerbank was for drilling mud I think. That was always the sign that we were almost to Grandpa and Grandma's house, and that I'd at least get to see some trains after hardly anything train related south of Tracy on I-5. Highway 99 was definitely more interesting train wise. How often would trains run out to Buttonwillow? Made it out there once, but not because of trains. Was trying to head north while avoiding the traffic on I-5 after Thanksgivig at the in-law's in Southern California.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds