Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: Movie Ghosts in Bozeman

Date: 03/01/13 11:19
Depot Friday: Movie Ghosts in Bozeman
Author: santafe199

In 1992 the Robert Redford movie "A River Runs Through It" was released. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's about 2 young boys growing up in 1920s Missoula, MT. A few trains scenes were filmed on location around Montana. In particular Mr. Redford used the Bozeman depot, which was dressed up to be filmed as the Missoula depot. Although I consider it to be a very fine film, I just have to poke a tiny bit of fun: During scenes where the train is departing eastbound, take a close look at background details. That big red target is on the mainline switch stand. The train is departing alright, right into the yard!

A month ago I posted an in-cab shot of this depot for 'Depot Friday' (Feb 1-Nostalgia and considering my story line I'm again posting this in Nostalgia). In response to a question from "steeplecab" I posted 2 more shots taken during a long & not-so-pleasant meet 4 days prior to the date of the first image. I had killed some time by doing a walk-around photo study of the old Northern Pacific building. Here are a few of those shots. Although I absolutely do not condone taggers & graffiti types who think they are artists, this particular person hit a note that coincides with many railfan sentiments. Check out the close-up in shot #5...

1. & 2 Partial views of the old NP/BN depot in Bozeman, MT while stopped for a meet with an EB train. That's BNSF 1113 on the point of my grain train.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/19 13:40 by santafe199.

Date: 03/01/13 11:20
Re: Depot Friday: Movie Ghosts in Bozeman
Author: santafe199

3. 4. & 5. "Movie Ghosts" & a sentiment about passenger service...
(all photos taken October 10, 2009)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/22 23:23 by santafe199.

Date: 03/01/13 22:42
Author: Boiserailfan

Nice shots, sad to see the depot in bad shape but kinda interesting in a way. Any idea when it was built and when was it closed?

Date: 03/02/13 00:56
Author: steeplecab

So sad to see how it has been defaced. I remember standing on that platform farther on down when the new Amtrak rolled in westbound. While the passengers were boarding and getting off, the crew invited me up into their lead F-unit and I got the nickel tour. I also remember as a kid, the Railway Express there getting in crates and crates of chicks ordered by mail order to be delivered by express. To borrow a line, "It's all crap now!"

Date: 03/02/13 14:28
Author: NYSW1904

I wish it could be saved. So sad to see this.

Date: 03/02/13 15:06
Author: tolland

I believe it's on the wrong side of town, unfortunately, to be of great commercial value. If Bozeman has a seedy neighborhood, the depot is located in that neighborhood. Won't work for a restaurant; too far from downtown.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds