Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: One for Larry

Date: 05/24/13 13:37
Depot Friday: One for Larry
Author: santafe199

In the 2+ years I've been aboard TO I've been fortunate enough to have met most of the current crop of Kansas railfans. There are only 2 or 3 I haven't had the pleasure of meeting face-to-face yet (that I know of). Among those I have yet to meet is one "thtinc41ed", the former Herington Times (KS) newspaperman. Larry has posted a countless number of priceless depot images from around the state of Kansas, and I have been thrilled to see every one of them. When he was in Herington he covered a lot of Rock Island, and then Cotton Belt activity, not to mention the Mop. It's amazing our paths never crossed during those days. I did my own "heavy reconnaissance" in Herington starting in late 1976 through my departure from Kansas in 1987. He & I have communicated quite a few times through PMs here on TO, a testament to the wonders of modern technology.

Larry, we will meet in person one of these days. Maybe even go chase a train or 2. Until then, here's a depot for you from your current home turf, from back in the good old days...

1. AT&SF waycar 999417 trails an EB manifest by the Santa Fe depot at Gardner, KS on September 9, 1979.
Santa Fe, all the way...

Thanks for the many depots YOU have posted!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/22 20:51 by santafe199.

Date: 05/25/13 15:56
Re: Depot Friday: One for Larry
Author: JoCoLB

Best Gardner depot scene I have ever come across. I always wondered what the former Center Street overpass looked like before it was reconstructed. Many thanks from one Kansan to another. We do have to meet up one of these days. L.B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/13 15:57 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 05/25/13 16:02

This picture shows so much of the "personality" of the ATSF in '79. Always loved how those "Shock Control" cars were painted. Also note the open-sided/uncovered auto rack car that still existed. I consider this a classic scene, made extra special by being in full color.

Date: 05/25/13 20:09

It should be noted that four tracks now exist at this location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds