Home Open Account Help 151 users online

Nostalgia & History > reflections on the Frisco

Date: 05/31/13 12:33
reflections on the Frisco
Author: atsf101

Located at milepost 110, Rolla was incorporated in 1858, welcomed the Southwest Branch RR in 1860, and was named the seat of Phelps County in 1861. After the passing of an eastbound, GP38-2 #412 leads a westbound freight out of the siding on October 12, 1975, The stucco and red tile roof depot was built in 1928, but sadly was demolished by the Burlington Northern in the mid-1980s.
The first shot is from Paul Dalman, and was included in "Rails Around Missouri. The second shot, taken by Daniel Schroeder, was not included, but is worth the look. 9-3-78. The composition is good, but the image was taken from a negative and would not reproduce good enough for print.

More "included vs. not" int he next segment.
Thanks,
Mike Kelly
www.railsaroundmissouri.com/blog

Date: 05/31/13 12:36
Re: reflections on the Frisco

Next, we have a pair of Frisco steam shots from Joe Collias, both taken in 1949 in St Louis. The first, with 4-8-4 #4501 on The Meteor, was taken at St Louis Union Station. While the subject is clearly worthy of print, the slide was damaged, and could not be used. Instead, we used the second shot, which is also the Meteor, this time stopped at the Tower Grove station, a few miles west of Union Station.
thanks,
Mike Kelly
www.railsaroundmissouri.com/blog

Date: 05/31/13 15:52
Author: Frisco1522

Mike, the shot with the 1063 is local passenger No. 5. The Meteor would have been a longer train, have the sun in it's face and at that time was diesel power.
Having said all of that, it's a terrific shot as are the others. It's a shame that the Rolla depot was torn down, it was an attractive building.

Date: 05/31/13 17:18
Author: ironmtn

Sights for sore eyes, oh my, my my. And after the work week, mine were sore - but are much, much better now after seeing these, especially the 4501 at SLUS. Many thanks for the cure!

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 06/01/13 08:33
Author: dbinterlock

My gosh, look at that first picture! That entire scene is just begging to be modeled - colors, station, overpass, crossing, trackage, and the Frisco!

Date: 06/03/13 17:16

Don - thanks for the correction on the 1063. I was in a rush when I made the original post. Thankfully I did not caption it as the Meteor in the book. Regarding the 4501, 1949 was the date I noted as being on the slide when Joe brought it over for me to scan. Maybe I got it wrong, or 1949 was the processing date. That was almost 2 years ago though.
Thanks,
Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds