Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > LA SP Question

Date: 08/01/13 10:07
LA SP Question
Author: cota1992

A thread on the passenger board made me think of my first Coast Starlight trip in 1983. Shortly after leaving LA I have memory of going through a yard and passing a almost endless line of tired worn out SP locomotives, it seemed to be not long afterwards we climbed out of LA. I rode up through that area in 2003 and I didn't see anything that triggered my memory, I'd sure the whole are changed by then. I assumed this is where the transit yards are now. This was long before my railfan days so didn't pay better attention but I've always wondered what yard this was and if it could be the deadline at the Bullring I've read about in other places?
Sorry for the scant info but it's all I can really remember.
Thanks in advance,

Art Reid
Brunswick, MD
Art's Photo Squirrel Flickr pages

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/13 10:07 by cota1992.

Date: 08/01/13 10:24
Re: LA SP Question
Author: millerdc

You saw Taylor which is gone now. There is some Metrolink shops on where part of the yard was.

Date: 08/01/13 11:50
Author: spnudge

You would have left LAUPT, passed Mission Tower, and curved around a sharp left hand curve. Then you would have been on double track to Burbank. The old power was in the Bullring. Then came Dayton Tower, lower end of "C" yard, then Main Line Tower (the top end of "C" yard and bottom end of "A" yard), then the top end of "A" yard. Next was Glendale, Allen Ave Crossovers, and Burbank Jct. You would have gone to the left there and on up the Coast.

This was before they tore Taylor Yard out and put everything over by 20 rail.

Nudge

Date: 08/01/13 11:57
Author: photobob

Here's the Coast Daylight passing Taylor Yard in the Summer of 1960.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 08/01/13 12:17
Author: mikado

same locale about 20 years later
Mike "Mikado" Anderson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/13 20:23 by mikado.

Date: 08/01/13 13:14
Author: OldPorter

On this same subject, there was a large SP advertising mural that was
visible for MANY years located just north (RR west) of the present
Chinatown light rail station. It was painted on the concrete lower works
of the Pasadena Fwy and proudly proclaimed: 8 Trains Daily with the SP
logo. It was easily visible through the 80s/90s and may still be there,
but it must be pretty faint by now. Golden days those, for fans of the Espee
and its wonderful passenger trains.

Date: 08/01/13 13:34
Author: cota1992

Thanks for the answers,I'm sure this trip was one of the things that led me to this hobby 20 years later.

Art Reid
Brunswick, MD
Art's Photo Squirrel Flickr pages

Date: 08/01/13 17:49
Author: timz2

Wasn't this the Bullring?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.068712,-118.231477&num=1&t=k&z=16

If so, from across the river he wouldn't have
had much of a view of power stored there?

Date: 08/01/13 18:46
Author: JimBaker

The map view shows the Cornfield and the Bullring/Links together along North Broadway and North Spring Street.
It gets somewhat confusing beeuse the yards were co-located together and were separated by a diagonal set of several hand-throw double-slip switches.
All this could be watched from the "Ann Street foot brige" where I used to spend some time in my past youth.

--Jim Baker

Date: 08/01/13 18:47
Author: spengr80

I remember back in the early 80's Taylor RH would store locos on A Yard 1 & 2 before dragging them over to the Bullring...

Date: 08/01/13 19:56
Author: The_Watchmaker

mikado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> same locale about 30 years later
> Mike "Mikado" Anderson

I doubt if that is 1990...maybe 1980...so that makes it about 20 years later...

Owen Hardy
Barrel Arbor, TN

Date: 08/01/13 20:25
Author: mikado

The_Watchmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mikado Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > same locale about 30 years later
> > Mike "Mikado" Anderson
>
>
> I doubt if that is 1990...maybe 1980...so that
> makes it about 20 years later...

You are correct, maybe 1979
Mikado

Posted from Android

Date: 08/02/13 10:59
Author: spnudge

I remember the first time at the Bullring. I had made many a trip from SLO to LA. One morning I caught #374, the Zipper and figured we would take it to the Shops. Well, we did but on a route I didn't know existed.

We got down to Dayton Tower and were lined across the river to the Bullring. My head man was from LA so he walked me through the move. First thing we came up to was a derail on the main line. The track was right next to the street and you had to watch out for cars and trucks parked foul of the track. (I got one 4 months later). After the derail was lined we crossed the street and started to curve left. This was a blind curve with chain link fences and buildings on both side. All of a sudden a signal came into view and LAUPT was on my right. The signal was yellow and I was lined towards Mission Tower and onto a bridge that crossed the river on a right hand curve. From there I was back on the SP side and lined into the Shops. The long, slow way around.

Nudge

Date: 08/02/13 11:30
Author: JimBaker

Nudge,

Sounds like you were lined over the ex-UP east bank bridge at Mission Tower toward the back end of the Shops which was the old SP Mission Street Coach Yard.

--Jim Baker

Date: 08/02/13 15:38
Author: zuchrew

Wasn't that wall mural an advertisement by Santa Fe for trains to San Diego?

Roy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds