Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Galveston Freight Office

Date: 08/13/13 15:25
Galveston Freight Office
Author: BNSF-6432

On a trip to Galveston, TX last week I accidentally stumbled upon an old find still standing since 1904. A freight office marked for GH&H, (Galveston Houston and Henderson) I&GN, (International Great Northern) and MKT. Its been untouched for the most part sense the tracks have been ripped up.
The building and loading dock are being used by a paper company and are not getting rail transportation.
1904 was a year the island was in process of rebuilding after the storm of 1900 so I'm not sure if a building existed prior to this one before or not.

1&2) The front side of the offices

3) A look at where a yard would have been at one point

BNSF-6432
PQM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/13 15:27 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 08/13/13 16:50
Re: Galveston Freight Office
Author: Txhighballer

Actually....

Cars have ben unladed there recently. To the right in your photo there are tracks there. On the other side of the building you can see the bumper posts for several tracks which are under the grass..

Date: 08/13/13 17:06
Author: The_Chief_Way

probably a while since that building was used in the way it was intended..for LCL freight, etc

Date: 08/13/13 17:52
Author: BNSF-6432

Txhighballer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually....
>
> Cars have ben unladed there recently. To the right
> in your photo there are tracks there. On the other
> side of the building you can see the bumper posts
> for several tracks which are under the grass..

Thanks for the correction, I just shot from the road that came up to the front of the building. I didn't pay much attention to the back. I guess I probablyshould have

Date: 08/14/13 16:56
Author: runningextra

Here is the other side and a couple of the bumpers

Scott

Date: 08/14/13 19:41
Author: Txhighballer

A couple of blocks from there is the old brewery...significant in that they used a leased SP 2-8-0 into 1960, I believe...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds