Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some Old New York Central

Date: 08/13/13 17:50
Some Old New York Central
Author: nycman

A couple more from the collection of Harold K. Vollrath, now in my possession. 2-6-0 1905 along with (I think) 4-6-0 858. Would anyone want to play "wherezit?" Whenzit was 1946. The two 4-6-0's 1264 and 1253 are somewhat of a mystery. This shot was from 1950 and those numbers supposedly were assigned to 2-8-2s then. Anyone have an explanation?

Date: 08/13/13 18:35
Re: Some Old New York Central
Author: LarryDoyle

Can't help with location, but I do note the 1264 has Westinghouse pump and 1905 has a New York.

-LD

Date: 08/13/13 18:39
Author: MacBeau

Hard to think of the NYC as a 2-6-0 kid of railroad. Thanks for the look.
—Mac

Date: 08/13/13 18:42
Author: Ray_Murphy

Picture #1 looks like it might be along the Harlem River in the Highbridge or Fordham Heights area of New York City.

Ray

Date: 08/13/13 18:47
Author: P

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Picture #1 looks like it might be along the Harlem
> River in the Highbridge or Fordham Heights area of
> New York City.
>
> Ray

I thought it definitely had a NYC feel to it.

What is strange is the complete lack of ballast along the track.

I recently saw some pictures of the NYC Whitewater branch in Indiana and small engines abounded on this line. They probably never ran anything bigger than a 2-8-2 on the line and I would imagine that the NYC had a number of branch lines like this. Most of the photos you see we're from places like the water level route most likely because it ran between and through very large population centers. The branch lines like the whitewater branch were very rural and in those days far from population centers where more People had money for film and cameras to use for train pictures. I would imagine the New York central had lots of these small engines in the age of steam. I enjoy seeing photos like these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/13 18:52 by P.

Date: 08/13/13 19:34

Ray, you are right about New York City, but I don't know the exact location. It must be somewhere on the Putnam or Harlem Divisions, which did not have the electrics run as far as the Hudson Division did.

Date: 08/13/13 20:11
Author: 2720

> Ray_Murphy Wrote:

> What is strange is the complete lack of ballast
> along the track.

Most engine facilities didn't get much ballast
other than oil soaked dirt!!
Mike

Date: 08/13/13 20:13
Author: jimh

The first one is The Putnam Division yard in The Bronx. This was the southern end of The Put.
It is here where passengers transfered to the Hudson Div. or the New York Subway.
Today that yard is covered by a highway, The Major Deegan Expressway. The apartment
building is still there.

I believe the second picture is in The Yorktown Heights yards also on the Putnam Division.

Jim

Date: 08/13/13 20:36

Jim, thanks for identifying the locations. Seems to me, about ballast, there were a lot of places on the Central which had cinder ballast.

Date: 08/14/13 04:12
Author: Ray_Murphy

jimh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first one is The Putnam Division yard in The
> Bronx. This was the southern end of The Put.
> It is here where passengers transfered to the
> Hudson Div. or the New York Subway.
> Today that yard is covered by a highway, The Major
> Deegan Expressway. The apartment
> building is still there.

This same picture is in the book "The Putnam Division" by Daniel R.Gallo and Frederick A. Kramer. It was taken in 1936 at the Putnam Division's High Bridge (two words) yard at ~165th street. The Put crossed over the river to a terminal (on Manhattan island) at 155th Street.

It also says that Schenectady-built 1905 (built in 1892) was formerly numbered 1625 and 722.

By the way, the house is still there, too, but its 3rd storey has been significantly modified.

Ray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/13 10:37 by Ray_Murphy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds