Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Traction Action: Oakland, Calif.

Date: 11/09/13 00:00
Traction Action: Oakland, Calif.
Author: stash

Tobacco, News, Fountain, Lunch, Waiting Room. That's was what made up the Key System Piedmont Station in Oakland, California, back in the day. Route C trains stopped there on their runs between San Francisco and Piedmont. At one time, the Route 10 streetcar passed by along the avenue, sharing tracks with the trains into the city of Piedmont. Today the station building has a colorful Key System mural created with a heavy dose of artistic license. A plaque recalls the Key trains at the corner. The final Key train departed the station on April 19, 1958.

The neighborhood is a busy shopping area. There is a kiosk on 41st Street & Piedmont Avenue maintained by the merchants' association with one panel devoted to Key System photos and information. That panel was the work of John Harder and myself.

Three tracks were under the roof. One was a spur; the double track is visible in the photo. Just beyond the roof was single track to squeeze through a narrow cut en route to 40th Street. You can see an interlocking signal in the distance. The people under the shed are probably watching for an approaching westbound train.

Many photos have been posted here of the location; search for "stash" and "traction action". Call up Google street view for the scene today. Plus more photos at keyrailpix.org for those interested in the Key Route.

To reference the mural and kisok photos go here: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2997451,2997451#2997451

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/13 00:04 by stash.

Date: 11/09/13 09:28
Re: Traction Action: Oakland, Calif.
Author: WP282

My wife and I were in that exact spot just last night, picking up some fish tacos (yum!) The little Mexican place we went to is just to the left of the street car, and where we parked is just across the street from it. Great photo.

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds