Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Diesel Switchers - Part 4

Date: 01/05/14 23:35
SP Diesel Switchers - Part 4
Author: TonyJ

I was going to post these earlier this afternoon, but the 49er game was more important. The following shots will be mostly Alco S6 switchers, again mostly in the Bay Area.

Photo #1 - SP1220 ducks behind a pole as it's about to head under the old Adeline Street overpass in Oakland on 8/10/1974.

Photo #2 - (Cough! Hack! Belch!) In a scene very familiar to Alco fans SP1221 accelerates in a large puff of smoke at West Oakland on 10/15/1974. In front of the cab someone has spray painted the words "Bill's Horse" on the hood.

Photo #3 - It's Sunday morning at Anaheim, CA. on 7/16/1975. SP1224 is one of five S6s, plus two cabooses and two SW1500s resting at the small engine facility there.

Date: 01/05/14 23:43
Re: SP Diesel Switchers - Part 4

Photo #4 - Sitting outside the West Oakland Diesel Shop on 7/23/1974 is SP1227. It was later dold to Diesel-Electric Services in San Antoinio on 12/15/1980.

Photo #5 - Also sitting outside the shop on the same day is SP1239. It was about at the end of its service life as it was retired on 1/16/1976 and sold to Chrome Crankshaft.

Photo #6 - Inside the shop, also on 7/23/1974 is SP1233. In 1978 it was sold to Chrome Crankshaft.

Date: 01/05/14 23:48

Photo #7 - SP1271 at Anaheim, CA. on 7/16/1975.

Photo #8 - SP1274 at Sacramento Shops on 8/18/1974.

Photo #9 - SP1200 inside the Roseville Diesel Shop on 8/18/1974.

Date: 01/05/14 23:58

Photo #10 - In 1975 SP transfered the last of the operating FM switches to Texas as a swap for five NW2Es that were upgraded at Houston. Here is SP1309 at Bayshore on 8/22/1979.

Photo #11 - I may be incorrect here but on 3/31/1975 when I saw NW2Es 1309 and 1312 with 1335 between them, I believe I heard they just arrived from Texas the day before. One thing I do remember was hearing a diesel mechanic saying to another, "How come we get all the junk?"

Photo #12 - NW2E SP1312 is switching the east end of Bayshore Yard on 12/13/1975.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/14 00:01 by TonyJ.

Date: 01/06/14 01:04
Author: Steamjocky

Looks like the 1221 is clearing its throat getting read to perform the days duties.

The S6 was my favorite ALCo switch engine and the SW1500 was my favorite switch engine of all time. The were both easy to run, good visibility, decent brakes and decent power. Plus, I'd say both were pretty comfortable to sit in for an extended period of time. The EMD a little bit more than the ALCo.

JDE

Date: 01/06/14 07:03
Author: photobob

Its amazing when you look back at these photo's how much access you had to railroad property without getting hassled. My how times have changed. Good memories Tony.

Date: 01/06/14 09:30
Author: Arved

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its amazing when you look back at these photo's
> how much access you had to railroad property
> without getting hassled. My how times have
> changed. Good memories Tony.

You could usually drive in as if you were coming to work. Once you stopped to take a photo, it was a race to get your shot(s) and get off the property before someone noticed and called the railroad POs. Some places had good access for photos from public property. West Oakland, the Roseville deadline and sanding racks, Bakersfield, Fresno... Other places were nearly impossible, like Sacramento Locomotive Works.

It was a game that was fun to play, but honestly, it was more fun to chase trains out on the mainline, and photographically more rewarding, as well.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 01/06/14 16:18
Author: MojaveBill

The original 1310 was the first diesel switcher assigned to the Mojave Yard.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/06/14 17:20

MojaveBill Wrote:
> The original 1310 was the first diesel switcher
> assigned to the Mojave Yard.

I'm guessing that was in the very early forties.

Date: 01/06/14 17:27
Author: Lurch

The #1335 still powers around! After it was retired by SP and sent to Levin Metals for scrap, Levin decided to keep it for their Parr Terminal Railroad. Renumbered to PTR #1402, she ran many years until set aside to be used as a parts source for Levin's other EMD switchers. In 2000 Levin donated the locomotive to the Pacific Locomotive Association. PLA spent many months restoring the locomotive to operating condition and repainting it into the tiger stripe paint scheme. After running for a couple years the locomotive received a new set of wheels.

These days the #1423 is our primary diesel power for weekend passenger trains. Attached are two recent photos of the restored #1423 operating on the Niles Canyon Railway. The first photo the #1423 is helping out our maintenance of way crew in October 2013. The second photo shows the #1423 next to SD9 #5472 in Brightside yard as they prepare to pull the annual Train of Lights through the canyon.

Date: 01/07/14 07:49
Author: Arved

TonyJ Wrote:
>
> Photo #1 - SP1220 ducks behind a pole as it's
> about to head under the old Adeline Street
> overpass in Oakland on 8/10/1974.

Interesting to see truck cabs as an autorack load. Can anyone clue me into what cabs these are? It looks familiar, but I can't put my thumb on it.

This is also the first time I've noticed an autorack with a load of something other than finished cars/trucks/vans. Where there other instances where autoracks were used for transporting something other than finished cars/trucks/vans? (Let's leave the FEMA prison train conspiracy theory out of this).

Thanks,

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 01/07/14 08:38
Author: watersidedrill

Arved Wrote:
> TonyJ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Photo #1 - SP1220 ducks behind a pole as it's
> > about to head under the old Adeline Street
> > overpass in Oakland on 8/10/1974.
>
> Interesting to see truck cabs as an autorack load.
> Can anyone clue me into what cabs these are? It
> looks familiar, but I can't put my thumb on it.
>
> This is also the first time I've noticed an
> autorack with a load of something other than
> finished cars/trucks/vans. Where there other
> instances where autoracks were used for
> transporting something other than finished
> cars/trucks/vans? (Let's leave the FEMA prison
> train conspiracy theory out of this).
>

International COE (cab over engine) Transtar. They
had a factory in nearby Emeryville.

Date: 01/07/14 09:48
Author: AlcoRSD15

Great stuff. Always loved the Alco switchers in particular. Thanks for posting.
-- Eric Blasko

Date: 01/07/14 18:41
Author: NYSWSD70M

watersidedrill Wrote:
> Arved Wrote:
> -----
> > TonyJ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > Photo #1 - SP1220 ducks behind a pole as it's
> > > about to head under the old Adeline Street
> > > overpass in Oakland on 8/10/1974.
> >
> > Interesting to see truck cabs as an autorack
> load.
> > Can anyone clue me into what cabs these are? It
> > looks familiar, but I can't put my thumb on it.
> >
> > This is also the first time I've noticed an
> > autorack with a load of something other than
> > finished cars/trucks/vans. Where there other
> > instances where autoracks were used for
> > transporting something other than finished
> > cars/trucks/vans? (Let's leave the FEMA prison
> > train conspiracy theory out of this).
> >
>
> International COE (cab over engine) Transtar.
> They
> had a factory in nearby Emeryville.

By 1974 Emeryville had been closed in favor of San Leandro. Otherwise, you are correct CO4070B (Transtar II) cabs. Interesting time with IH in San Leandro, Peterbilt in Newark and Mack in Hayward - all long gone.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1054 seconds