Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Switchers - Part 5 (oops!)

Date: 01/06/14 09:33
SP Switchers - Part 5 (oops!)
Author: TonyJ

I was going to add more photos to Part 4, but decided to go to bed for some beauty rest. From what I saw looking in the mirror this morning the beauty rest didn't work (again). In my Part 4 which featured some SP Alco S6 switchers, I was going to add these, but I couldn't recall if I posted these before. Excuse me if I did.

In September 1965 I was going to college at CCSF in San Francisco after my stint in the navy. Over the radio that afternoon I heard something about a fatal accident on the Espee involving a collison of two trains in The City. I grabbed an old camera and drove to the Seventh & Townsend engine facility and found activity surrounding two damaged locomotives parked on one of the service tracks. It was then I realized the accident must have happened the day before as commute trains were operating. It's been over 48 years since I took the photos so my recall of exactly transpired is a bit hazy.

A e/b (southbound) commute train had just departed Third & Townsend a few minutes earlier when it was struck going around the Seventh Street curve my either GP9 SP3002 or Alco S6 SP1276. I do remember one of the two locomotives (probably the 1276) rolled away, hitting the 3002 at an angle, which then rolled ahead and struck the first gallery car on the commute train, killing one passenger. I don't remember much beyond that. Any additional information is appreciated.

When I arrived there SP had one or two special agents to keep people like me away. I took several photos from the nearby street crossing on Berry Street, since it was public property. I waited around a while longer before going somewhere else for a few hours. I decided to return before going home. After not seeing any SP agents I made one pass on foot to take what you see in Photos #1 and #2. Photo #3 was taken from public property on Seventh Street. One of these days I need to dig out the negatives and see what else I took that sad day.

Photo #1 - This angle shows damage to the engineer's side of the 3002 and the long hood end of the 1276. Parts of the 1276 are on the ground.

Photo #2 - As I continued my quick walk I snapped one more image before walking to Seventh Street.

Photo #3 - The only damage I see from the other side is on the 3002. I'm guessing this is the end that struck the gallery car.

Date: 01/06/14 11:53
Re: SP Switchers - Part 5 (oops!)
Author: dcfbalcoS1

From the heighth of the damage, are you sure those units didn't side swipe your beard instead? Standing too close can be dangerous, to equipment. Whatever type equipment it is.

Date: 01/06/14 12:02
Author: WAF

Nudge has more details, but the two engines sidewiped themselves into 134 that was leaving. Happened in summer 1968

Date: 01/06/14 17:14

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nudge has more details, but the two engines
> sidewiped themselves into 134 that was leaving.
> Happened in summer 1968

You're correct. I looked at my notes on the back of the photos and it is 1968, and not 1965 as I wrote. I should have known it was later because I sorta thought I told my wife what happened and I was going to see for myself. In 1965 I wasn't married yet. My only excuse is that I'm an idiot and can't read my own handwriting.

Date: 01/06/14 17:16

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the heighth of the damage, are you sure those
> units didn't side swipe your beard instead?
> Standing too close can be dangerous, to equipment.
> Whatever type equipment it is.

Harold. How could that happen when I use hair conditioner to keep my beard soft? Besides, if I stood that close to a moving locomotive I would hope I was wearing brown trousers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds