Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > A blend of 7 railroad names in one photo caption

Date: 02/01/14 13:38
A blend of 7 railroad names in one photo caption
Author: JoCoLB

I hope I don't get too wordy but I think I can work in the names of seven railroad companies in describing these three photos that were taken at Abilene, KS, on the evening of Aug. 11, 1990.

Photo One shows a westbound Union Pacific Railroad local with former Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and Missouri Pacific Railroad locomotives (MKT No. 213 and M.P. 2280) pulling about two dozen gondolas filled with crushed rock. The train is easing past the retired Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad depot that is situated in a re-creation of a Western town, called Old Abilene Town. Behind the train on the north side of the former CRI&P tracks is the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum.

Photo Two shows the U.P. local and its former MKT and MoPac power units rounding a connection track that will put the full train on Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway tracks for a few city blocks before it reaches another connection with the U.P.'s KP route main line. The U.P. local will then head onto Salina while traveling over the U.P.'s KP main line.

Photo Three shows the rear of the U.P. local about to roll past the switch at the former OKT Jct., which still bore the OKT initials.

The U.P. acquired the OKT/ex-Rock Island branch between Abilene and Herington, Kan., in 1988 with the acquisition of the OKT's parent company, the MKT (Katy).

I can't finish up until I mention that the Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad now owns the branch line and utilizes the former Rock Island depot that is pictured to sell excursion line tickets and serve as office space. My! My! Abilene has certainly seen its share of railroad names, especially since 1980

I can't really connect any other valid names to the photo cutline unless I listed names on the gondolas. There is one footnote, however. The Central Kansas Railway also came into Abilene later for a few years. Now, Kansas & Oklahoma Railroad trains also make visits on runs from Salina. The ATSF is now the BNSF Railway. Help me out, railfans, if I'm overlooking any other railroad names directly connected to Abilene. (Someone is bound to mention a privately-owned grain elevator switcher. What is the current name on that Abilene switcher?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/14 13:42 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 02/01/14 14:15
Re: A blend of 7 railroad names in one photo caption
Author: unclebob

I haven't looked at the white switcher at the elevator in the last year. It was owned by DeBruce Grain, but was bought by Gavalon. I don't know if they have spent the time/money to do any lettering.

Mike

Date: 02/01/14 14:23
Re: A blend of 7 railroad names in one photo caption
Author: unclebob

Here is a photo from several years ago on the Abilene & Smoky Valley. We were in the process of installing another switch to get into the second bay (open door) of the engine house. This view is looking due west. The left track that the backhoe is sitting on goes into the bay that #3415 stays in. The track curving to the right with the Brownhoist crane and old GE center cab is the old Rock Island line curving north towards the Santa Fe connection you have in the photos.

The track still runs up near the junction, but the switch was removed by the Santa Fe many years ago.

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds