Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > Real WAG Wednesday

Date: 07/23/14 18:22
Real WAG Wednesday
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Getting close to four years since the WAG closed operations the last remaining GE Centercab 1700 was still sitting at Ansonia, PA. It had been moved from the WAG siding towards the CR interchange getting ready for movement. These shots were taken from CR UNL-16 a Northbound coal train for New York State Electric & Gas power plant at Milliken, NY (U-Unit N-NYSEG L-Ludlowville which was the station on the old LV line) as we passed Ansonia on August 21, 1983.

Date: 07/23/14 18:26
Re: Real WAG Wednesday
Author: PCCRNSEngr

On October 19, 1983 was called for the Wellsboro Local. Went on duty late afternoon at Gang Mills, NY and found out that we would bring back the 1700 with us that evening. So I brought along the tripod and flash bulbs to a shot before we tied on. Another crew had picked up the 1700 at Ansonia and took the 1700 to Wellsboro Jct.,PA. So this night we continued her trip from Wellsboro Jct. to Gang Mills, NY and then it to the NY&LE at Gowanda, NY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/14 18:28 by PCCRNSEngr.

Date: 07/24/14 06:41
Author: jburek

Please keep these Real WAG photos coming - I just love seeing the recorded history of this great little shortline. A friend of mine was able to obtain the wood from those great little outside braced wooden boxcars the railroad owned when they were breaking them down for scrap at the end. He had made several trips to see the railroad when it was still in operation and became friendly with the railroad staff & crew. He approached about taking some of this wood and received a favorable response. He made several trips bringing this wood back to NJ for a project at his home. He ended up paneling a small reading room off his living room with this wood which still displayed all of the original WAG reporting marks. This room was awesome!! Felt like you were standing right next to one of these outside braced wooden boxcars.
jburek

Date: 07/24/14 07:00
Author: aehouse

And here's your's truly, trespassing and "at the throttle" of 1700 on 18 February 1970. My wife and two friends and I, out for a day WAG-fanning, came upon the unit dead on a spur in Genesee, Pa., on the line between Galeton and Wellsvile, N.Y.

The second shot is the view from the 1700 looking towards the depot at Genesee.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 07/24/14 07:56
Author: train1275

Genesee sure has changed and not for the better.

Here is the remains of the depot on April 20, 2013 looking towards Wellsville.

Date: 07/24/14 08:53
Author: Out_Of_Service

i enjoy your WAG series & photos ... i was first introduced to the WAG reading Trains mag late 60s early 70s ... as for the UNL or any coal trains heading up the Corning Sec did they yard at Willimsport or was the wye still in place at Jersey Shore for eastbound headon moves coming off the Buffalo Line to head up the secondary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0988 seconds