Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > Nevada Northern TOFC?

Date: 07/24/14 00:46
Nevada Northern TOFC?
Author: dcmkris

Can anyone tell me when the Nevada Northern acquired their TOFC trailers? I saw in some old threads that they appeared to be stored on the RR around 1982.

But I was curious when they were originally obtained? What routes or service were they used in if not in a general pool? When were they retired or sold off?
Finally how many did they have and what were their numbers?

I assume from the few bad photos I've been able to find that they were indeed Freuhauf 40' Z dry vans (trailers).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kris

Date: 07/24/14 05:15
Re: Nevada Northern TOFC?
Author: WAF

Trailer pool, just like the boxcars of the 70s that investors got into, and later lost their shirt

Date: 07/24/14 15:51
Author: PFE_COI

Kris,

Here's one (NNRZ 601072)...photo taken 7 September 1981 in Stockton, CA.

Ron Hawkins

Date: 07/25/14 21:10
Author: tinytrains

According to someone I know who worked for the SP back then, SP had a huge number of NN trailers at Shops Yard that no one would use because they were only 40 footers. NN would not come get them, so they loaded then on flats, delivered them to the NN spur, and told them they had X days to return the flats empty or get charged per diem on the cars. NN had to bring out cranes to the middle of nowhere to unload them.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 07/26/14 06:16
Author: WAF

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to someone I know who worked for the SP
> back then, SP had a huge number of NN trailers at
> Shops Yard that no one would use because they were
> only 40 footers. NN would not come get them, so
> they loaded then on flats, delivered them to the
> NN spur, and told them they had X days to return
> the flats empty or get charged per diem on the
> cars. NN had to bring out cranes to the middle of
> nowhere to unload them.

Nope, the market for these trailers like the boxcars which the IRS ruled was not a tax shelter busted.
NN probably had to go to SLC to get them or indeed they were interchanged to them and they off loaded them in Ely.

Date: 07/28/14 22:15
Author: tinytrains

According this fellow, who was intermodal manager at the time, they definitely delivered them to the NN directly. I may have misunderstood, and NN took them down to Ely to unload, but it was a big hassle for them as they had no lifting equipment. He loves telling this story at the SP&HTS meets.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds