Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thursday Lost Junk file: Matfield Black

Date: 07/24/14 06:49
Thursday Lost Junk file: Matfield Black
Author: santafe199

Digging around my “lost junk file” I found this example of careless exposure control. It happens. Somehow I severely under-exposed this slide 34 years ago, so it got tossed into a junk box. But this box of junker slides (about 300, give or take) never got properly disposed of.

Fast-forward to the age of Photoshop. Predictably my first editing was an attempt to correct the exposure. But the result was not very good. So I went the other way and darkened the train & ground while trying to bring the sky up a bit.

The 8012 + train in this shot are heading TT west, but the heading is really mostly due south as the good old crow flies. And it’s late afternoon/early evening in June, so the late sunlight is coming in from the right rear quarter of the train. That means the sky wasn’t exactly blue. I guess I could have added some color to the sky here, but I sorta like the result as is. And the spooky dark nature of the image in its new life as a silhouette. Ah… the wonders of Photoshop! Enjoy. Or not.

1. AT&SF 8012 is westbound at Matfield Green, KS. Maybe that should be Matfield BLACK? Taken from a small access crossing plank near the west siding switch on June 19, 1980.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/22 21:30 by santafe199.

Date: 07/24/14 07:20
Re: Thursday Lost Junk file: Matfield Black
Author: Mudrock

Nice shot. I enjoyed my time there last June. Thanks for all your info.

Chris

Date: 07/24/14 14:05
Re: Thursday Lost Junk file: Matfield Black
Author: dieselman

Hey, I like that its a great GE shot.

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds