Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Nostalgia & History > Help with a Northern Pacific location(s)

Date: 07/26/14 05:44
Help with a Northern Pacific location(s)
Author: BaltimoreOhio

I recently inherited several slide trays from a family friend, and last night I started scanning them. They are from all over the country, and so far the date ranges have been anywhere from the late 60s through the early 90s. He kept fairly decent notes, but these two only have "NP" written on them and I was wondering if anyone can help me with the location(s). Thanks in advance!

Date: 07/26/14 06:04
Re: Help with a Northern Pacific location(s)
Author: march_hare

Both on Mullan Pass, just west of Helena.

Date: 07/26/14 06:12
Author: SCAX3401

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both on Mullan Pass, just west of Helena.

Yes, I agree. The first photo is at the then west end of Austin Siding where the sharp right hand curve is located (can see the oncoming train further back in the curve). The west end of this siding was extended thru the curve by Montana Rail Link sometime in the 1990's.

The second photo is the Greenhorn Creek Bridge just a handful of miles further up the line from the first photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/14 06:13 by BNSF6400.

Date: 07/26/14 06:28
Author: valmont

Here's C&S train #77 w/C&S 922/BN 5749/6318 crossing the same bridge on Oct. 13, 1976.

Date: 07/26/14 06:32
Author: highgreengraphics

Fbe knows! That first one is a great shot, lots of atmosphere there to look at. === === = === JLH

Date: 07/26/14 07:19
Author: 3rdswitch

Agree, first shot is awesome, surprised not a cloud of brakeshoe smoke, would only add to the scene.
JB

Date: 07/26/14 08:17
Author: TCnR

Quite agree, those are both well known locations that have also been included in DVD's of modern MRL. They don't look like that in the videos though, all the little NP buildings are long gone, or painted white with green trim a long time ago.
t4p.

Date: 07/26/14 08:35
Author: fbe

I would concur about the locations. BNSF6400 is good as are the photos.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/14 08:36 by fbe.

Date: 07/26/14 08:40
Author: hawkeye

It looks like there is a motorcar is sitting outside its shed on the left side of the tracks.

Date: 07/26/14 09:08
Author: BaltimoreOhio

Thanks for all the responses (and helpful info). I still have about 8 trays to scan, I might have several inquiries like this!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/26/14 12:42
Author: czephyr17

BaltimoreOhio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the responses (and helpful info). I
> still have about 8 trays to scan, I might have
> several inquiries like this!
>
> Posted from Android

Well by all means post more pictures, whether you have an inquiry on it or not! These are great!

The picture at the west end of Austin siding was probably taken in the early 1960's. I know when I spent time there in 1968, the house and motor car shed were all gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds