Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Nostalgia & History > scrap yards near joliet?

Date: 08/26/14 23:24
scrap yards near joliet?
Author: aaronhanson

In the 80s I remember there being a scrap yard along the river on CSX's New Rock Sub. Does anyone know more about the operation and when it stopped? I remember seeing a fair amount of first generation foreign power being put out to pasture there at times in the 80s.

Also, Rockdale had a small yard full of tank cars just sitting there in the early 80s for several years. This was right on the ex-Rock Island trackage and almost directly under the Larkin Avenue (Highway 7) bridge. Was this also the remnants of a scrap operation or were the tank cars just sitting there abandoned after the shutdown?

Date: 08/27/14 06:38
Re: scrap yards near joliet?
Author: valmont

Pielet Bros. was in Joliet area

Date: 08/27/14 18:54
Author: aaronhanson

-Then the scrapper by the river was likely Pielet Bros. It seems this is the case after doing some more reading.

Anyone have any ideas about the tankers left to rot in Rockdale? Casualties of the shutdown?

Date: 08/27/14 19:30
Author: ghemr

Pielet Bros was in McCook adjacent to the EMD plant. It was located on Joliet Road near 53rd St. and was served by IHB and B&OCT. The town of Joliet is probably 25 miles from McCook.

I'm not saying Pielet Bros didn't have a scrap yard in Joliet----just never heard of it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 20:05 by CSX_ENG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0246 seconds