Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG running extra (#11): More tender history

Date: 08/29/14 10:23
WAG running extra (#11): More tender history
Author: santafe199

A couple of weeks ago I posted 3 shots from the Junior Spellman collection which were from, shall we say, a ‘tender’ point of view. They were basic shots of Santa Fe steam power with their tenders as the prominent subject, all in black and white. Here’s a link to that thread: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3495653,3495653#msg-3495653>

In the ongoing chore of archiving the Gibson collection (photography by both Bill & Art) I found a similar shot Art took at the Emporia, KS roundhouse. It is just a work-a-day image of 2 men atop a steam tender going about their task of slaking the thirst of Santa Fe steamer. Other than this being some visual history from a Santa Fe town yours truly would eventually work out of, this shot evokes a particular personal interest. While Art was taking this shot in June of 1955 in Emporia my mother was very busy about 70 miles to the north (Manhattan) giving birth to & providing “tender” care to a new-born baby who would grow up and become ‘santafe199’…

1. AT&SF 984 being serviced at the Emporia, KS roundhouse.

2. General engine yard scene looking west from very close to the Emporia roundhouse turntable.
(2 photos by William A. [Art] Gibson Jr. in June 1955)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/22 22:29 by santafe199.

Date: 08/29/14 10:34
Re: WAG running extra (vol #9): More tender history
Author: sphauler

I love the second photo. It's the perfect transition era shot. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan
sphauler

Date: 08/29/14 10:42
Author: ddg

Wasn't 984 the last Santa Fe steam engine used in regular service in Kansas ?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/29/14 13:54
Author: Rathole

Is this a case of "Love Me Tender?" Well, I tried to resist but just could not.

Date: 08/29/14 20:24
Author: wag216

That is correct, Dennis. wag216

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds