Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Boise, ID Stuffed and Mounted

Date: 08/29/14 12:06
Boise, ID Stuffed and Mounted
Author: bobwilcox

The depot and this MacArthur have been laid aside for preservation.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 08/29/14 12:16
Re: Boise, ID Stuffed and Mounted
Author: zfan

Too bad this city doesn't have Amtrak service anymore. I remember riding the Pioneer a few times when I was a youngster. That's a beautiful station!

Date: 08/29/14 14:11
Author: NKP715

Did the UP "officially" adopt the
MacArthur designation?

Date: 08/30/14 00:21
Author: Notch16

If that's a contemporary photo, then the 2-8-2 is very, very nicely presented.

Something to consider: some folks think "stuffed and mounted" is a bit disrespectful to the machine, or to people who've tried to present an historic locomotive attractively, as here. Not all steam locomotives can steam, but many can still be displayed handsomely... and nobody "bagged" this one as a game kill, I would guess, so it's neither stuffed (it's probably empty) or mounted (there are probably not pegs up through its bottom so it can sit on a carved wooden plate!). "Plinthed" sounds a little aggressive too, plus that's more for airplanes on pikes.

How about just "displayed"? Can we settle on that? Or just say "presented"? Especially when a locomotive has been well-presented and displayed with some attention to historical accuracy. It's a weaker phrase, and less colorful and insider-snappy... but at least it's not judgmental or an incidental put-down.

Anyway, great photos of a nice scene, and happy they're both still around. Thanks much for posting the shots!

~ Bob Z.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds