Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP:Switching the Tank Farm at River Station

Date: 08/31/14 08:51
SP:Switching the Tank Farm at River Station
Author: spider1319

At the lower end of the Cornfield two SW1500s switch the tanks with downtown LA skyline in the distance.The image is from the mid eighties.Here again poor labeling.The facility is now gone plus the once large Cornfield/Bullring Yard as well.Bill Webb

Date: 08/31/14 08:57
Re: SP:Switching the Tank Farm at River Station
Author: switchlamp

Nice shot. I see all the freight sheds have burned down and hauled away. I worked the rathole job in the 70's as a switchman and remember having to line up all the boxcars about 4 across and 10 deep at night. Thanks Bill for all the memories in all the pictures you have put up !
Tom

Date: 08/31/14 10:02
Author: ButteStBrakeman

switchlamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot. I see all the freight sheds have burned
> down and hauled away. I worked the rathole job in
> the 70's as a switchman and remember having to
> line up all the boxcars about 4 across and 10 deep
> at night. Thanks Bill for all the memories in all
> the pictures you have put up !
> Tom

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, Bill. GREAT photos that bring back tons of memories!

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 08/31/14 14:27
Author: 3rdswitch

Another GREAT look back at the way it was.
JB

Date: 08/31/14 17:39
Author: SCAX3401

SP 2500 is still with us today. It is now owned by RailServe and is RSSX 2500. Last I heard was assigned to UP's Settegast Yard. It is now in plain, faded and dirty orange.

Date: 08/31/14 19:27
Author: DNRY122

Back in the early 70s, I was driving through this area with my daughters. We stopped to check out the action, and I pointed out the old switcher next to the yard office. "Look at that old switch engine. It's a Baldwin." and my younger daughter observed, "You're right--there isn't a hair on it."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds