Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another one bites the dust

Date: 09/01/14 15:10
Another one bites the dust
Author: bkban

Not sure if this has been covered in the last day or so, but the old SP cantilever signal tower at Berg Siding (Yuba City, CA) has been removed. All that remains is the concrete footing. Another piece of SP history disappears.

Date: 09/01/14 15:31
Re: Another one bites the dust
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Thanks for the nice pix of that beautiful
cantilever signal, and the double searchlight!
I miss those old signals......

Date: 09/01/14 17:25
Author: TonyJ

Didn't know it happened. Berg was also the jct of the old Knights Landing Branch many decades ago.

Date: 09/01/14 18:12
Author: spnudge

I loved the spur that went to Yuba City. They took all the rails and ties out but the signal sat there, at least 2000' from the siding, for over a year with a red indication.

I hated that place when you had to weigh on a west man. The dispatcher lined you into the siding, then you had to line a switch thru the scale and line another switch back out to the siding. All this time not going over 4 mph and the caboose had to line up behind. By then you were getting close to Binney Jct. and the signal was usually red. It shot at least 45 minutes or more out of your trip.

Nudge

Date: 09/01/14 19:51
Author: candyman

I live in Red Bluff, just 50 miles or so north of Berg. In the past month UP has been unloading signal masts and control boxes by the old depot. Some have names on them, such as Anita, south Gerber. The days of the old signals are numbered. Get them while you can
Dave

Date: 09/01/14 22:05
Author: ble692

The ex-SP searchlight signals from Berg to Gridley were all replaced on August 19th, 2014. The searchlight signals at both ends of Richvale were all replaced on August 26th, 2014. Going north out of Roseville the first searchlights still in service are now at Chico.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 22:06 by ble692.

Date: 09/03/14 09:03
Author: Ruger338

Ran across these out in Shafter, NV the other day.

Date: 09/05/14 11:41
Author: jridge

Ruger338 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ran across these out in Shafter, NV the other day.

Except for the weight, like to take one of those home with me.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds