Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > Historic Salem freight shed (Be still my heart)

Date: 09/15/14 20:06
Historic Salem freight shed (Be still my heart)
Author: jdb

It appears that the myriad of agencies and organizations that can get involved have finally managed to agree on work starting. Today a crew showed up with the assigned task of removing all of the siding. The lumber will be taken to the shop and restored board by board. It seems that only the framing that holds up the roof will be here while that work is done.

Cost to restore (rebuild?) is now at $1,000,000 and all of the agencies that are going to provide the money have signed off.

jb

PS: Salem, Oregon that is....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/14 20:08 by jdb.

Date: 09/15/14 23:22
Re: Historic Salem freight shed (Be still my heart)
Author: Evan_Werkema

Date: 09/16/14 09:17
Author: Frisco1522

$1M to restore THAT?

Date: 09/16/14 09:55
Author: hogheaded

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $1M to restore THAT?

That's my first reaction, too. Is there hazardous material mitigation, or some other hidden costs involved? Great to hear that it is a survivor, though.

Date: 09/16/14 10:13
Author: jdb

That's the one Evan. And you have the most flattering picture of it that I've seen. A word of caution: Don't back up too much more, you are getting into the territory of the bridge people. The brush has been cut down and it is somewhat better than a couple years ago. The baggage loading for #11 is over your right shoulder in the pic. At one time AMTRAK wouldn't let a lone female employ handle baggage by herself.

I think the $1,000,000 includes paving and a new entrance from 13th street. Hazardous material was supposed to have been taken care of.

This building is getting fixed up for Greyhound to rent.

jb

Date: 09/16/14 14:29
Author: Auburn_Ed

Why couldn't they build a perfect replica for $200-300k? After all, it isn't a steam engine! I'm all for restoring old things, but..........when government gets involved (thru the various agencies and jurisdictions) money just seems to get thrown away. Of course, I'm sure that my age has something to do with my reaction to modern costs ("It only cost.........when I was younger").

Ed

Date: 09/16/14 16:31
Author: iliketrains

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $1M to restore THAT?

My thoughts exactly.

Date: 09/16/14 18:37
Author: upkpfan

If they take all the siding off the sides and leave the roof up there, a gust of wind will come along and blow the whole thing down in a pile. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds