Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > Whatever happened to the "Blue Goose" of Plaster City,

Date: 09/18/14 09:04
Whatever happened to the "Blue Goose" of Plaster City,
Author: the_expediter

Constructed of two 1953 Chrysler coupes in the mid 1950s,and welded back to back, this strange vehicle transported workers from US Gypsum at Plaster City, CA. to the mine 26 miles to the northwest during the 1950s until the late 1960s. Each compartment had its own a/c, and the industial-built engine located in the center compartment had two forward and one reverse speed...It rode on 8 rubber tires that included steel flanges to keep it on the narrow gauge track. It's unknown if it turned around at the mine, or just ran backwards (which witch is which?) back to Plastered City...When a road was built to the mine, Blue Goose went the way of the Dino! I caught it catnapping in Plastered City in Nov. 1970.

When I posted this shot 2 years ago, SteveD of San Carlos, CA stated that it had been stored at the Orange Empire Museum for years...anyone know what ever became of it?...Expiring minds want to know...

I'd like to buy it and use it as a railfanning vehicle on the busy San Diego- LA corridor...charging $20 per ride to any wag foolish enough to partake in such a misadventure!

Thanks for looking...Steve M of Grossmont, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/14 09:06 by the_expediter.

Date: 09/18/14 09:50
Re: Whatever happened to the "Blue Goose" of Plaster Ci
Author: Jason-Rose

I'll bet that would be quite a hit at a NARCOA gathering.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 09/18/14 09:51
Author: nicknack

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,103393,103423

Last word here was that it was scrapped.

Date: 09/18/14 12:15
Author: Frisco1522

Do you have to change ends like you do on a diesel?

Date: 09/18/14 17:25
Author: wattslocal

As I remember, way back when, Orange Empire was offered the Blue Goose. I took a look at it somewhere up in Orange County and it was really thrashed. Lots of rust and no maintenance for years. We said thanks, but no thanks.

I would guess if it existed today, folks would be fighting for it.

Watts Local

Date: 09/18/14 18:38
Author: the_expediter

I just read in a Pacific News mag. from 1970 that the PSRMA aquired the Blue Goose, donated by the officials of US Gypsum. Plans were to move it to San Diego in 1971...It's obviously long gone now...Thanks for everyone's input...Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds