Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday: a few extra WAGs

Date: 09/29/14 09:10
Maroon Monday: a few extra WAGs
Author: santafe199

Here are 3 ‘odds & ends’ images taken by Art Gibson [aka WAG Jr], the “Junior” partner of Team Gibson. They are just some misc scans I took a second look at before filing them into the permanent Gibson archives. There are very minor reasons here & there for not posting any of these images. But when I looked at the subject matter something in my railfan heart says heck-yeah! Why not post everyone’s nostalgic and/or pet favorite railroad; the Mighty Fine Rock Island? After each caption, in parenthesis, I’ve inserted my initial & very lame reasoning against posting… :^/

1. CRI&P 43 rounds that sharp curve in the approach to the south side of the Kansas River bridge in Topeka, KS on March 21, 1965. (Not quite a duplicate, but I think I’ve posted a CRI&P shot very similar to this one in the past…)

2. REA trucks adjacent to the Rock Island freighthouse in Wichita, KS on January 1, 1967. (with an unfortunate beginning [?] of the film roll light leak exposure flaw…)

3. CRI&P 1329 with a southbound manifest in Cline Yard in Wichita, KS in December of 1973. (I couldn’t seem to get a good, sharp scan out of 3 attempts)
3 photos by William A. [Art] Gibson Jr.

Thank goodness for a second look!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/22 21:48 by santafe199.

Date: 09/29/14 09:22
Re: Maroon Monday: a few extra WAGs
Author: wag216

photo #2-- the 543 ( I think) is on the ground. The boys just left her sit until the next day. The CRI&P freight house was "torched" by some vagrents a year or so later. wag216

Date: 09/29/14 09:40

wag216 Wrote:
> The CRI&P freight house was "torched" by some vagrents a year or so later...

OUCH! Sounds like a rehearsal for Emporia in 1999...

Lance

Date: 09/29/14 10:12
Author: SD45X

I hear Willy singing " On the ground again. ....just can't wait to be on the ground again. "
LOL.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/29/14 10:24

SD45X Wrote:
> I hear Willy singing " On the ground again...

(chuckling!) Unfortunately for the Rock, that could have been a very recurrent theme song all during the 1970s... :^(

Lance

Date: 09/29/14 23:56
Author: traingeek087

Number 3 is the gem in this collection. Check out those Fairmont M9s. Pretty little Fairmont motorcars.

Traingeek087

Date: 09/30/14 01:18
Author: Red

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear Willy singing " On the ground again.
> ....just can't wait to be on the ground again. "
> LOL.
>
> Posted from Android

And all over the entier System...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds