Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Alameda (San Jose) Shanty...survives!

Date: 10/20/14 11:03
The Alameda (San Jose) Shanty...survives!
Author: KMiddlebrook

In following the "San Jose-1975" thread, there appears to be some interest in the structure.

As noted, Caltrain deemed both the Park Avenue and The Alameda shanties as "surplus". While a TO poster was able to secure the door to the Park Avenue shanty, another individual was able to get the entire, or what was left, of The Alameda shanty. To accomplish this task, he required a crane and flatbed truck and was able to obtain permission from Caltrain (or so I have been told).

He relocated the structure to the Santa Clara County fairgrounds and donated it to the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation. Since these images were taken, shortly after its arrival at the fairgrounds near 4-6-2 steam locomotive #2479, the shanty has received needed TLC such as paint and a new roof.

Date: 10/20/14 11:16
Re: The Alameda (San Jose) Shanty...survives!
Author: zephyrus

Awesome! I remember that shanty well.

Z

Date: 10/20/14 11:51
Author: BoilingMan

Wow, me too- I hope they didn't clean it up too much!
SR

Date: 10/20/14 13:18
Author: CrudPunko

Thanks for sharing!! Neat shots

Date: 10/20/14 16:41
Author: hogheaded

Nice to see that the Alameda shanty was saved! I would have salvaged more of Park Avenue if the homeless had not been using it as a restroom (gross!), and it wasn't already half burnt down. Otherwise, dumpster-diving was good back then. One of the Caltrain M/W bigshots had earlier been my foreman on an SP track gang, and alerted me when something good was in the trash, which I checked daily, anyway.

The aforementioned "secret knife switch" that could throw all of the signals red was located to the right of the door in the lower photo.

-E.O.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0713 seconds