Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Nostalgia & History > Now & then & really then in Topeka!

Date: 10/21/14 14:53
Now & then & really then in Topeka!
Author: santafe199

Here’s a nifty little look at Santa Fe ground in Topeka, KS that covers an 80-year span. These 3 shots involve the passenger station/depot at 4th & Holliday in downtown Topeka; sacred ground for most Santa Fe fans. In 1931 Ray Hilner took a black & white photo of a gushing water spout at the south end of the passenger platform. But 8 decades later we can see so much more in his marvelous shot! Directly behind the spout is the old REA Express building (although I’m unsure of its actual identity in ’31). To the right in Ray’s shot is the 2-story version of the station which lasted many years, right into the 1950s when it was heavily remodeled into the present “modern” depot. Ray took his shot from the yard looking NNW.

51 years later in early May of 1982 yours truly was snooping around the depot area and found Santa Fe had placed many of their business cars out in the yard. They were arranged there in preparation for the yearly Director’s Special which was to run on the 8th. Except for the REA building (sliver on far left hand side) & the aging cement platform just about all of the items from Ray’s photo had been removed or replaced. I’m shooting from one of the baggage cart crossings looking NNE.

29 years later I returned to the scene to find the REA building long gone with the center platform now removed. This is the view from the 6th St overpass looking just about due north.

1. Santa Fe Topeka passenger station scene on August 23, 1931.
(Photo by Ray Hilner, Art Gibson collection)

2. Santa Fe/Amtrak Topeka passenger station scene on May 2, 1982.

3. Amtrak (former Santa Fe) passenger station scene on October 15, 2011.

Thanks for looking (way) back & forth!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/22 21:36 by santafe199.

Date: 10/21/14 16:40
Re: Now & then & really then in Topeka!
Author: mp51w

Look at all the detail in that REA building! The old depot of course wasn't totally demolished. What I understand is, that they saved the 1st floor walls and re-clad them in limestone panels in 1948-49. When they re-did the interior in 1986, they exposed what looks like part of the original brick wall. Although you look at this construction photo and it's hard to believe that any of the original depot survived. Notice the pile of bricks. I'm pretty sure the basement is original. The middle part is almost 1 1/2 stories. In the attic you can see what looks like large diagonal boards that could have been the original second story floor. Lance, in your last photo you caught the crane demolishing the flour mill. So you were recording history just 3 years ago.

Date: 10/21/14 18:12
Author: The_Chief_Way

That's right; the old two story depot lives on after a "heavy remodel" after WWII.
During the remodel period the Santa Fe moved their ticket office and waiting room
functions across the street to a now-demolished hotel ground floor.

Date: 10/21/14 19:33
Author: santafe199

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> ...old two story depot lives on after a "heavy remodel"...

Yeahhh... I think I might have known that at one time. I guess I was born a bit late.
Thanks for jogging the ol' memory. I've adjusted the text.

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds