Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Nostalgia & History > The late great Hamilton City branch

Date: 10/29/14 16:04
The late great Hamilton City branch
Author: RplusLJetService

I was "lucky" enough to live just a few miles from this former SP branch line that has it's junction with the West Valley mainline at Wyo, Ca. Here is the local returning from the now closed Holly Sugar mill back in April of 1988. A Cotton Belt GP20 was assigned to this job for a few days back then.

Adam

Date: 10/29/14 16:35
Re: The late great Hamilton City branch
Author: TCnR

Just for info, the Alco switcher was sitting behind the locked fences at the Sugar Plant when I went past earlier this year. Seemed to be in decent physical shape.

Date: 10/29/14 17:55
Author: BNSF-6432

Very nice!

PQM

Date: 10/29/14 18:01
Author: loleta

Thanks for the photo. That was a fun line to photograph, both in SP and Cal Northern days. It was certainly a leisurely chase. Is the track still in place? If so, is it still used for car storage? I'm amazed the Alco is still in Hamilton City after all these years; Holly Sugar also had a small four-wheel switcher there. I wonder where that is.

Loleta Fernbridge

Date: 10/29/14 18:04
Author: TCnR

Vaguely remember cars stored on the Branch alongside the County Road.

I was zig-zagging through the County Roads trying to follow the Sacramento River. I found it in some surprising places, not much water though.

Date: 10/29/14 23:23
Author: TonyJ

Thanks for the photo. I always enjoyed filming the SP on this branch.

Date: 10/30/14 12:01
Author: SP8595

Great photo with a nice leader!

Date: 02/22/16 11:51
Author: Graybeard1942

The Alco switcher is gone. About a year ago, it was cut to scrap and removed, without ceremony. Because of a rogue sub-contractor, the entire demolition (of the Holly Sugar Plant) sequence was pretty much a disaster/fiasco.

Some members of TrainOrders stepped up at the time in an attempt to purchase the S6 and keep it in Glenn County.  Others simply became greedy and outbid us.  In the end, nobody won but the lawyers since the contractor was ripping everyone off.  When demolition halted, the switcher continued to sit in place and only the whistle was lost to vandalism as I understand. The fire department across the street always keep a close eye on the property and the engine.

I'll try to post some images later in the month.

ron chico ca

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds