Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > Last steam out of Roseville?

Date: 10/30/14 11:41
Last steam out of Roseville?
Author: Spikes

question-?the last years and type of steamers to help "City of San Francisco" out of Roseville up the mountains? Any photos? Thanks.

Date: 10/30/14 13:46
Re: 102
Author: timz

We've all seen those two pics of steam on 102--
don't recall seeing one of 101 with steam.
Guys were arguing about whether a steam helper
was usual for 101, but no one had evidence.
If helpers were usual with E2s, did they
continue with PAs? No one knows.

Date: 10/30/14 14:46
Author: agentatascadero

I have an SP video which shows #102 with what appears to be the second COSF consist, so would likely be around 1940. Narrations can be very inaccurate, but this one stated the COSF got a helper each trip eastbound, in the film it was a 4300. My guess is that #102 got helpers so long as the train was EMD powered. The PAs went into service around the time the COSF went daily in 1947, and I would wager that they spelled the end of regular helpers for #102. #101 had a much shorter grade coming westbound and may not have required helpers even during the days of EMD power. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/30/14 15:41
Author: WAF

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We've all seen those two pics of steam on 102--
> don't recall seeing one of 101 with steam.
> Guys were arguing about whether a steam helper
> was usual for 101, but no one had evidence.
> If helpers were usual with E2s, did they
> continue with PAs? No one knows.

Perhaps if a diesel failed, yes, but by late 1950s on long conists, F unit helpers were common

Date: 10/30/14 18:39
Author: RLcabin

I checked some dispatcher's train sheets for 1953. The normal pattern for #102 City of San Francisco was 12 cars pulled by a pair of Alco PAs, with a pair of F unit helpers added Roseville to Norden. I did note several days in July where an AC cab-in-front steam helper substituted for the F units. This didn't seem to have anything to do with train length or tonnage, but simply availability of power at Roseville. In December, with light freight traffic, there were plenty of F units available so no steam helpers were used.

Best regards.
RL Cabin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds